jack to XLR back to jack

Hello everyone!

I have a question about audio cables and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. (If there is a post about it I apologise, but the search option did not retrieve any useful info)
    Namely, I have an external shotgun type microphone for my DV camcorder. It's a very good mic, but It does not have an XLR, only the standard mini jack plug. I know, that these standard cables are not shielded like the XLR cables and if I wanted to use an extention longer than 3m(10') there would probably be interferance. Also my camcorder doesn't have an XLR mic plug, therefore my question is:

Would it be possible, to use 2 converters - one from mini jack to XLR on one end and the other back from XLR to mini jack on the other end, and use a longer XLR extention cable, to avoid interferance?
    I think it should work, however I am not an expert and would like to verify my theory before i buy the stuff.

Thank you for your help, regards!
    P.

your signal is always as strong as its weakest link. Which means, if its not XLR at one point, it will never have the sound of an XLR. It sounds as if it fits perfectly into your camera, so I wouldn't change it. If you wanna know what to do, first get a real XLR mic, and stop trying to make a piece O crap work. I know its tempting to think it will sound better, but it will end up being a waste of money. Then, you will want a real camera too, with XLR in's. Yes, its costly, but in order to upgrade, you have to upgrade the set-up, there's no cheap shortcut you can take, because everything is only as good as your weakest link.

First of all, a lower end microphone will have noise built into it, which would degrade the signal

The lower end cord would have more interference

The cameras onboard pre-amps will not be quality, expecially not mic quality, thats why its only line level

The converters on your camera probubly do not have a great AD, making any upgrade useless anyways

It's a sad truth, but theres not many shortcuts you can take here

Thank you for your reply, however I think you didn't quite understand my question.
    It is painfully obvious that a 4000$ camera and a 500$ mic would make a difference. However I am quite pleased with my RODE Video Mic. Even though it's cheap it's not a piece of crap as you put it.
    I am not trying to make my audio signal better, that would be quite impossible without a better mic.
    I only want a longer extention without picking up EXTRA interferance...and i still don't know the answer...

thanks
    cheers,P.

Yes, it's possible. The question is whether there would be any benefit or not. For under 15', I would not bother trying to convert it unless there was a noticeable noise problem.

Can you tell me why you want the mic that far from the camera? Depending on the situation, it might be better to get a regular mic that uses XLR so at least you're not converting twice. Lots of choices available for your basic dynamic mic under $150.

The benefits of a balanced (xlr) system is not in just the cable. The inputs and outputs must have the electronics that make the noise cancelation possible. 1/8" coax is shielded the same as any other coax, for the sake of argument, including xlr. My advice is to just use an extention of whatever cable your equipment already has, or as Rackdude and fstfwd74 put it, get better epuipment.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Thank you for your answers, much appreciated.

@fstfwd74: I am using a "shotgun" type directional mic, and they don't come cheap, the only reasonably good quality cheap one is the RODE Video Mic. When shooting short films sometimes the camera needs to be farther away than 15', heck, the boompole for the mic itself is 10' long (if need be)....i need slack on the cable, so the camera can move freely. And to get good audio it's best to have the mic close to the subject...

thank you again
    P.

Bro, ANY additional wire you add to it will introduce more noise. These are the only things you can do aside from upgrading, or adding a preamp/mixer. 1, get an extention, with female on one end, male on the other, of the same wire that goes from the mic now. Radio Shack used to make a 25ft 3.5mm stereo extention. (changing to XLR and back again will NOT help). 2, use a real good 9v battery, and change it whenever the voltage drops to below 8.5 volts.

Have you considered a wireless lav?
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'