Amphenol MC4 Connector

Hi,

I just recently put my hands on an old Shure 565 mike with a 4 pin Amphenol mc4m/f connector. The cable is old and wrongly connected. I would like to buy a new one to be able to reconnect and use the mike again. The Shure 565 is a dual impedance mike and you select the impededance yourselve by wiring it according to your needs. Question: how should I wire it: high impedance (with a 1/4" jack I guess) or low impedance balanced (unless unbalanced is better?) with an XLR connector. Whatever the case could anyone answer the question and provide a wiring pattern? I'd be most grateful. I'll use this mike for practice and performance in small venues with a shortish cable (ca. 15 feet).

Thanks,

Marc

id wire it with a magonomi gold cord, but thats me

Keep it balenced, XLR

Magonami is proness in terms of sound quality, their *neutek*(SP) connectors are amazing and lock in place perfectly

but magonami is pretty expensive, a cord like that is $100

I guess u can cut some quality and go with a monster cable, the general public wouldn't notice a difference. Thats prolly $20

Keep it XLR

Amphenol MC4m/f to XLR

Hi Rackdude.

Thanks for your recommendation about Mogami cables. Is there any way you could provide some advice about the soldering of the shield, + and - wires on the Amphenol bit? I think I can work out the XLR side (1. shield, 2. + and 3. -), but I am not quite sure about the other end, apart from the fact I should use low impedance and balanced, if I am right.

Cheers,

Amphenol 4 prong to XLR

Well, I finally took the plunge and did some soldering with the Amphenol MC4 on the one end and a XLR on the other end. Here is the pattern:

XLR: 1-neutral, 2-Pos, 3-neg
    Amphenol: 1-neutral, 3-Pos, 4-neg

This scheme works for balanced, low imp.

The 2 on the Amphenol is for the high impedance. If you want to have it that way (with a jack, e.g.), then connect 1-neutral, 2-pos. It will be unbalanced.

It works great with this old Shure 565 mike - great response and clear signal.

Hope this helps.

Marc