Windows Media and Flash video

Hello,

I am having a big problem and hope anyone can help me. I am trying to play flash video (.flv) in my windows media player. However, I get an error which says that Windows Media is unable play or read the codec.

The microsoft help site says the following:

1) The file type is not supported by the Player. For a list of file types (formats) that are supported by Windows Media Player, see the table on supported file types in this topic.

2) The file type is supported by the Player, but the file was compressed by using a codec that is not supported by the Player.

How can I make the Windows Media play? Is there anything I need to download?

Thank you for looking at my query. Regards.

Hi
    That is why Dave built the MC Media Player...!!!
    Go to the link on the Media Player forums at the bottom of this forum and use Dave's player. It's easy and looks professional too!!

Chris

Blog Entries
    Cheers Chris

The latest version of Windows Media Player should be able to play FLV files. It may give you a warning but also give you an option to attempt to play the file anyway. Do that and it should play fine.

I'm using version 11 and it plays FLV files without any warnings or problems.

If you have the latest version and it's not working, there may be something wrong with the FLV files.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave

Are you still succeeding in playing FLV files with WMP11 at present date? I've tested many files but, every attempt failed .

Blog Entries
    Yep, working fine. What exactly happens when you try to play an FLV file? Does it open in WMP at all ? In other words, is WMP set as the default player for FLV files?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks for asking, Dave.
    I have not set WMP11 as the default player for FLV files. When I open a local FLV file (using the menu) with WMP11 in WIN XP PRO SP3, a msg box comes up warning that FLV file extension is not supported; I click to proceed, and another msg box comes up telling that the file cannot be played because either the file extension or its codec is not supported.
    In Microsoft Windows Media - Web Help page, I see that FLV file is not in the supported file types list, but SWF is. Therefore, I tried to play a local SWF file (that plays correctly in IE7) but another msg box came up saying that the security settings don't permit playing that file. Thus, I clicked on WMP11's tools/options/security tab and set all options on (permmitting scripting). I tried to play the local SWF again, but it failed all the same, with the same msg box coming up.
    I guess my WMP11 will not succeed playing a FLV file while it is not able to play a SWF file.
    If you have any suggestion, please, let me know.

Blog Entries
    It looks like I might have overlooked something here. On further investigation it seems that you're supposed to have ffdshow installed for FLV files to work in WMP. I do have ffdshow installed which is presumably why it works for me. Honestly, I don't ever remember installing it and I didn't realise it was required. I thought WMP11 just worked with FLV out of the box. It's especially odd since I'm on a new computer and I thought I would have remembered installing ffdshow. Weird.

Anyway, sorry about the confusion and I hope this helps.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

if you downlaod the k-lite codec pack you should be able to play virtually any file out there. it also provide a .mov decoder as well so you can play quicktime files in windows media player as well if you like. make sure you do a standard install, it might be tempting to select everyone but you can guarantee that it will conflict with some so just choose form the drop down menu. you'll know what i mean when you see it

Hi people, if you open to using another media player besides WMP, may I suggest using VLC?
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Quote: nagar
    View Post
    Hi people, if you open to using another media player besides WMP, may I suggest using VLC?
    Agree, but why are you suggesting WMP in the first place? (of course, my name being included with VLC is probably biasing me a bit, but I was pushing it even before then )
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler