Blog Entries

Red One Video Cameras

I've only recently become aware of the Red One video cameras (www.red.com, www.reduser.net). These bad boys are getting rave reviews and being cited as the final nail in the coffin for film.

After seeing a prototype, Peter Jackson offered to do some camera tests. Rather than the standard benchmark tests he made a 15-minute short film called Crossing the Line (shot in two days). You can download a short reduced-size excerpt here.

I recall when I finally had to admit that synthesized musical instruments were effectively indistinguishable from real instruments. It was very difficult as I had always been adamant that it would never happen. I know plenty of film enthusiasts who still say video can't replace film. I think that's an increasingly lonely position to hold
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

dave, and all others who care.

I have had the chance to use these cameras. They are nice. they can not quite justify the price, but i am sure in a year or two they will the quality is phenomenal, the assessors are near flawless and from what i have heard the costumer service is outstanding. If you get a chance to use these cameras, take it!!!!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Blog Entries
    Lucky bugger, I wish I could get my hands on one for a day!
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

sounds interesting, ill have to check it out

its like the synthesized instruments tho

i mean, lots of people can tell no difference, but wearing my 770's, i can totally hear the difference between a real and a synthesized *unless you count the eastwest symphonic orchestra as synthesized, thats a whole new ball game*, but most people will never be able to tell

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    Lucky bugger, I wish I could get my hands on one for a day!
    Dave are you in the UK? i am not sure where you are located, however if it is the same as here in the states, they sent out a demo to alot of the production hubs here, and had us tell them what we thought, you know like beta testing. It was real nice.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Blog Entries
    No, I'm in New Zealand. Actually just a couple of hours from where Peter Jackson shot the short film. I haven't heard of anyone around here getting a turn with these cameras but I might ask around just in case.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave,

We have a few RED Cameras due in December. A client of ours from Europe has 3 coming in this month and is flying one of our Directors there (we are from the NYC area) in a few weeks to test them out. I have seen some of the latest footage posted on other forums and it looks impressive. But we have not yet touched the camera itself.

I don't think that the crew load and their expenses will be any different then our 35mm shoots, however there will certainly be less processing and related costs. Time will tell.

Cheers,
    David McLeavy
    Director

Hi guys, just came back from a short Viet Nam trip.

The Red One's been in the works for quite a while, and most of the folks where I am (incl myself) have beden following the development, but never got really close to seeing the real thing as of now, even at the shows... it definitely sounds like a 'all in one' and 'this is it' camera, but the price is not justifiable for a purchase over a loan for now.

Nevertheless, while we gain mileage from state-of-the-art technology, we lose something along the way.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore