what do I need to edit Dvcpro50 in a PC?

Hello to everyone from Spain, I please need some help with this matter

I have material in DVCpro 50 on DVCpro tape. I want to edit this material but I donīt know how I need to upgrade the computer or buy a new one. The guy in Panasonic told me:

1) I need to get first a capture card, now I have a regular pinnacle firewire card in the computer, can I work with this one?

2) Then get the program, which program would be a good one for DVCpro50?

3) Finally the computer. I have a PC with pentium 4 at 1.5 Ghz and 516 RAM. Would this be enought?

Alternatively. If I had to spend a lor of cash in a editing sistem. I thought about transfering digitally the material to Mini Dv and edit that, I would accept the downgrade in quality as a final solution.
    But I found problemas with this too, I canīt do that transfering from a DVCpro 50 player to my Mini Dv camera with Rec in. Does anyone knows how to transter digitally to Mini Dv without going throug the computer?

I know is many questions but i am in real mess with all this

Best regards

paco bech

Hi Paco

If your camcorder doesn't accept DV or analogue inputs then you cannot transfer to MiniDV. Surely the player has a firewire output...most pro formats have a digital out to go directly into your computer.

A standard firewire card is usually plenty to capture video and the choice is yours as far as an editor goes.... I'm sure you will get PLENTY of different opinions. I personally use Sony Vegas 7 but if your budget is tight, Vegas Moviemaker gives you the same features (just less tracks) for less than US$100 !!!!

If you still have a problem with your pro tape, take it to a pro hire shop and they will more than likely be able to dump it onto minDV for you

Chris

thanks for yor answer. Nobady here can do that conversion digitally. My camara has a dv input and analog input, but the firewire output of the dvc50 player is dvcpro 50 and the camara donīt convert. I have bben checking in local companys around and nothing, thi is a small city, all they offer is an analog conversion.

I have sony vegas on the computar, I will check rigt now if I can edit DVCpro50 whit that.

So, yopu think I can capture and edit DVCpro50 with sony vegas and pentium4 at 1.5 Ghz and 516 RAM?

thanks very much for your help