Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help....

help....

any help.... on how to hook up multiple speakers in an amp?? i know it works more on omhs law....

Well, first you need to know the impedence (in ohms, usually 4, 8, or 16). Second, how many speakers do you want to connect. Third, what is the power rating (in watts continuous) for both the speakers and the amplifier. After you have these three numbers you can connect the speakers using ohms law to match impedence (which is static nominal). For speakers connected in parallel, if each is 8 ohms, divide 8 by the number of speakers for the total impedence. Example: 2 speakers in parallel = 4 ohms, 3 in parallel = 2.7 ohms, etc. For speakers connected in parallel simply add them together. Example, 2 speakers = 16 ohms, 3 = 24 ohms, etc. You can do combinations of series and parallel to obtain the correct impedence of the amplifier, which must match that of the speaker aray. A parallel connection is 2 or more speakers connected so that all positive connections go the the positive side of the amp and all negative connections go the the negative side of the amp. A series connection is positive side of the amp connects to the positive side of the first speaker, the negative side of that speaker goes to the positive side of the next speaker, etc, to the last speaker, whose negative side connects back to the negative side of the amp. hope this helps.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

It's important to read the amplifiers rated ohm load, usually this will be 4ohm minimum.. so that would be two 8 ohm speakers off each output (wired in parallel). you could get 4 speakers off one amp (if it has two channels and two seperate outputs) running combinations of sries and paralel, while it will work, is not common in the Sound Reinforcement industry. It's safer to run a higher impedance than the rated minimum, as it may cause a little more heat, but as long as you are staying within 8 ohms or so to the minimum.

It really depends on the amp and the speakers, look in the owners manual, the answers are often found there....

Quote: matt capuyan
    View Post
    any help.... on how to hook up multiple speakers in an amp?? i know it works more on omhs law....
    i am guessing that you are using this for a dorm room set up? if so, follow the formula in the first response. it will keep you out of trouble with any fire martials. If this is for business or any setting where other people will be listening other then a few beer soaked college chicks...DO NOT do this. buy a new amp that will allow you to run what you are looking for as far as speakers. You will be MUCH happier and you clients will like it more too (and that is what it is really about)

im running sounds @ our church, just a new guy in the field of sound reinforcement, so i really need more inputs to all the guys who are into sound reinforcement industry.

Quote: kawsakimx6
    View Post
    i am guessing that you are using this for a dorm room set up?
    If your dorm room needs more speakers than your amp supports, you may need to look into hearing aids . My room is fine with a 16 channel line mixer and a nice small computer speaker setup running, never overmodulating, it can fill about 1/4 of the entire "residence hall" [it could probably do more, but we haven't tried, and at that point, I'd probably add a compressor/limiter or two]
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

nop, im running sounds @ our church, sometimes going into outdoor events so i need more knowledge with this field.

OK, NOW you need to list the equipment you're dealing with so we can get a fuller picture, if you would please. List what you have now, and then what you want it to do. We'll help you get it there
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

i have a power amps rated 1st amp is 300W per channel for my highs, 2nd amps is 500W per channel for my mids and 3rd amp is 900W per channel for my lows, and I'm planning to have 2 sets of speakers on each side, help me please how to... 2 highs, 2 mids, 2 lows, on each side. thanks for all the help in advance.

Do you have a crossover? It separates the hi's from the mids from the lows before it all goes to the amps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast