Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D200

Nikon D200

I have just purchased the Nikon D200 and find it awesome but does anyone have any tips or suggestions on getting the best out of it. At the moment I'm using it in Auto mode so I just point and shoot. Don't get me wrong the quality and sharpness is there but the shots still look like ordinary shots, only a lot sharper. I would like to take photographs that look like the Professional photographer takes say, at weddings etc. Any comments welcome.

Nikon D200

Doesn't anyone have a Nikon D200 on here. Surely someone has and can give me some tips.
    Thanks.

Learn to use it in manual orr aperture priority mode... get one of the 'field guide' books as well. My quick answer
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Read your manual

ok the first thing i could say is if I spent 1500 on a camera and was going to use it on Auto, i would kick myself in the ass. the other thing i would say, is practice, see what looks good, and try to do it again.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Ashleigh k, I am asking for some tips. If you knew how complicated this camera is you wouldn't give such a thoughtless reply. Of course I read the manual doh!!! What I am asking for is if anyone has used this camera and found out some tips that could be passed on to members of this forum. I also have a Sony Z1E HD Video camera and on another forum other users of this camera have found out some good tips and settings and have posted those tips on the forum for other people to use. All I am asking for is the same, not some nonsensical reply that doesn't help at all. You show me one person who has bought a camera, read the manual and then knows everything about that camera, it would be great if it worked that way.....but it doesn't. If anyone has any good tips on this camera please let me know, but if you are just going to criticise.......then don't bother.
    Thanks.
    George.

Nikon Tips

Hey there, the tips you are asking for are non-camera specific. Since you read the manual you know how to"use" the camera. If what you are looking for is how to get better looking photographs, start by shooting in aperture priority, then shutter priority this will allow you to control one aspect while allowing the camera to control the other. If the camera controls the aperture than you control shutter speed and vice-versa.

Once you have a good handle on that go to full manual where you control it all....then once you have that down shoot in raw and make enhancements on your computer BUT since you cannot change composition POST picture (except when cropping) learn about the rule of thirds. (just Google it)

It's not the camera...

You need to realize that the camera only has little to do with what a picture looks like. There are many different techniques that make pictures look good. I would say the very first step, very first thing to learn about is composition. Learn what that is, learn how to compose and picture, and then when you learn what it is, break the composition rules. To break rules, you must know them first. Also, depth of field is huge, and the most important part of photography is lighting. Start with the composition rules!!!

There are many, many books on the subject of photography (I have an old book from Kodak titled "How to Take Good Pictures." What else does one need )

Seriously, I think your best bet is experience - trial and error and learning by doing. I think you should get together with a professional. If you want to take wedding pix then intern (read, free of wage) with a wedding photographer. If you want to shoot sports, work as a stringer for any local newspaper.

Even if you work every Saturday night as a dress/pleat arranger or meter holder at a wedding, there's always lots to be learned by listening and watching. And, pros usually need a third hand on the job.

The D200 is a sweet camera - just use it.

Good luck.
    eyepatch

Hi BEERBELLY, apologies if we got your intentions wrong there.

Anyhow, I have had my hands on it before, and if there's anything specific, go ahead and shoot. Else, I think mixerone has a good overall idea there for you. I'll send a post of a nikon forum/site where I saw some great tutorials too later.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast