Photoshop - transparent background doesn't save

I've done this a million times....well, a few hundred I'm sure, and now it won't work, I must have forgotten a step, or Photoshop Cs2 has changed the protocol.

Ok - I bring in a graphic with a white or colored background, and I want it transparent. If the layer is Index, I go up and change it to RGB. Then it changes to background and I double click on that and change it to a layer. then I take the magic wand tool and click on the background and delete (and do it as many times as needed if the graphic fills the dimensions and blocks it from taking it all)...then I 'save as' and I know the jpg won't recognize it, and I save it as a gif.........and it saves with the white background; I can't get a saved transparent bg. Once in desperation I opened a new doc in transparent in the same size and moved the graphic over, and it saved, but I have done it subsequently and I get the white background. I'm wondering if I've forgotten a step....or the program got corrupted somehow....??? Sooooo frustrating!

Blog Entries
    It sounds like you're doing it right. The only thing I can think of is to make sure you have the Transparency option checked:

If that's not the problem, are you able to upload the PSD file with your reply so I can take a look? (Click the "Manage Attachments" button below the message form)
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Photoshop transparency doesn't save

Ok......I've never accessed that menu option before. How do I do that? I just go up to Image/Mode where Index is checked and then check RGB...THANKS!

Blog Entries
    That's the window you get when you save as a GIF.

BTW it makes sense to work on files in RGB mode, but they will always be converted to 256 indexed color when they are saved as GIF.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

photoshop transparency doesn't save

Ah! ok......when I "save as", my menu for the Indexed Screen isn't as colorful as yours so it didn't trigger my memory. Yes, it worked!!! Never had to do that before though. Maybe it's new in CS2? - don't have to answer - THANKS! And thanks for explaining why I get index all the time; I never knew why.

Thanks for being here for people. You're a life saver!!

I prefer working with images that will end up in low-color in low-color, in doing so, you can tweak things that may look perfect in full color, for example: the automatic RGB > Index conversion on 'export' may make that background the wrong color and you may need to tweak it to get it back to being right, etc....
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler