Transparency into Quark 5

Hello,
    I am new to this forum, so I hope I am in the right spot to ask a question. (I volunteer to produce our union paper.)

Background: In Photoshop 7, I made a Transparency that I want to use in a Quark 5 layout. The file looks ok in photoshop with the checkered area that I do not want to show, but after I import it into my Quark picture box (as a Tiff file) I cannot get the black union logo to only show. There is another box below with gradient coloring. I have read about the clipping switch in quark help... it says to pick "alpha Channel"... but I cannot select it because it is not highlighted. I thought it might be about send to the back or front ... but that is not it....

So I do not know if I created the transparency wrong or it is something in quark.

I have attached the Photo shop graphic. Thank you for your help in advance

I haven't used Quark for ages, since switching to InDesign, but for what you're trying to do, I would be inclined to create a clipping path around the area you want to show, save it as a Photoshop EPS and import into Quark from there.

Still no success

How do you create a clipping path around. The file is a logo, the white background I have managed to get checker (as in no background) hence only the black will show. I tried saving it in a EPS format, but I get the same results.... no transparency. I am a novice to this...creating transparencies....

OK, first off, if you have a clipping path, the background is irrelevant. The clipping path basically tells Quark "only show what's inside this path".

To create your path, there's a quick (and sloppy) way, and a slower (but more accurate way).

Quick and sloppy: Use the magic wand and/or lassoo tool to select only the area you want to show. On the Paths palette (Window/Paths), click on the flyout arrow at the top right of the palette, and select Make Work Path ... from the menu, or click on the Make work path from selection button on the bottom of the palette. Then double-click on the Work Path name in the palette, and name the path.

Slow and accurate: From the Paths palette, make a new path using the flyout menu or the button on the bottom of the palette. Then use the pen tool to draw your path around the area you want to clip out (I'm assuming your familiar with bezier drawing ..?).

When you've finished making your path using either method, select the path in the palette, then click on the flyout arrow again (top right of the palette, remember) and select Clipping Path ...

In CS2 and older versions of Photoshop, the path name will then be highlighted to show that it's a Clipping Path. CS3, quite annoyingly, has dropped that feature, and now has nothing to indicate if it's a clipping path or not.

Now just save your file. Clipping paths are preserved in PSD and Photoshop EPS and possibly TIFF files (I may be wrong on that one). Photoshop EPS is probably the best format to save for placing in your Quark document.

I hope all that makes sense!