After movie conversion the video is not properly displayed in player

I converted the movies from my new mini dv camera (AVI to mpeg ) in order to fit the size of a DVD.
    I used for this AVS video converter program. In Windows Media Player the converted video doesnít work, the video is not displayed at all so I was forced to look for another video player. After downloading the free VLC movie player for windows, the installation was OK and the video appears but the movie image looks like it is split with horizontal lines making it almost not viewable.
    I donít know if this is a bug of VLC player or of AVS conversion tool or itís because Iím new to new to this domain and canít configure them rightly.
    Could you help me with an advice on how to use these programs or how to configure the player VLC to work properly?

Hi Pal

I doubt whether it's the VLC player..more than likely a bad conversion!!

If you are transferring to your computer from the camera via firewire you should be ending up with a DV-AVI file that takes up roughly 14GB per hour.

You really need to get a decent Non Linear Editor and render your clip (after adding and cutting) to an MPEG2 file!!!

I use the Sony Vegas range and if you get Vegas Movie Maker it's less than $100 and will give you outstanding results!!

Chris

Quote: pal
    View Post
    After downloading the free VLC movie player for windows, the installation was OK and the video appears but the movie image looks like it is split with horizontal lines making it almost not viewable.
    Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    Hi Pal

I doubt whether it's the VLC player..more than likely a bad conversion!!

If you are transferring to your computer from the camera via firewire you should be ending up with a DV-AVI file that takes up roughly 14GB per hour.

Chris
    hello chris,

just an update to my issue now solved with the help of some free pieces of software. initially i was not looking for something free because i didn't believe that could exists good free things. You were right it was a bad conversion. But since the 14 GB of video needs to be compressed i couldnt avoid conversion, fortunately these two converters koyote free video converter and super converter both free worked smoother and vlc player shows them correctly now.