Female Voice-over recordings - first mic

Hi! I've been researching for a microphone to start practicing my voice-overs and community announcements. I've been looking at the Shure SM58 to start out with. Any recommendations or experiences with this microphone. Thanks

What do you mean by "practicing?" Do you want to record your voice to work on what it sounds like, or to get used to a mic? Where and how do you plan to do the VO's and anouncements? Video or just audio? What will they use for a mic? You will probably want something comparable but not as expensive, whereby the sm58 is ok. You could do worse.

It would really help to have more info though.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

pennies is right, you could do alot worse. however if you are looking to do professional Voice work, i would go with something different. before i list any, i would like to know what your budget is and what you will be recording onto
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Ok, Livvy could do better too, but yea, what's the recording medium?
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

if your recording, use a condenser mic. I'd suggest a studio projects C1 or an audio technica 2020

For live use, cheap end is the new behringers, they are too bad, behringer dynamics...

SM58s are mid class, standerd, but i dont like them too much, too plain

OM7 is on the high end. Love it and its a hypercardiod so you dont have to worry bout much feedback

Just need more details for what your doing

the SM58 is fine for 'practicing', in fact any mic is fine for that. If you want to do voice overs professionally, you'll want something else. Look at a low end condenser mic if you're just getting started....

The most important thing at this point is, what are you going to plug it into? The rule of thumb is that any condenser mic is better than any similarly priced dynamic. However, a condenser mic requires a power source. The majority of pro mixers supply phantom power over the mic jacks. Other kinds of mic inputs, maybe no. If you're going to be connecting it in a lot of different situations, you don't want to get stuck with a mic that won't work without power. A dynamic like the SM58 will work anywhere there's a low-impedance mic input.

You can also get a condenser mic that runs on an internal battery. Problem here is that these mics are typically low-end, not so hot quality. On the other hand, voice is not nearly as critical as some other kinds of sound.

The SM58, as with every "vocal" mic, very significantly colors the sound. It has a pronounced boost around 5kHz and a pronounced rolloff by 10kHz. This is to give the sound an edge so it can cut through the noise of a band. (Also to cover up the ragged high-end response typical of dynamic mics.) An A/B comparison with a flat condenser mic will reveal a very obvious difference in "color."

No amount of advice here can substitute for borrowing several mikes and trying them out. (For one thing, we can't know what your voice is like.) And don't just listen to them on your own speakers; take a recording around and listen on different speakers.

Quote: karl eilers
    View Post

No amount of advice here can substitute for borrowing several mikes and trying them out. (For one thing, we can't know what your voice is like.) And don't just listen to them on your own speakers; take a recording around and listen on different speakers.
    Absolutely. There is no 'perfect' microphone for everyone. A Neumann u87A would be about as close as they come to that (very natural sound, for a price $$$$$)...

See what works for your voice, for your setting/needs. I found that the Shure 55SH (chromed Elvis styled Mic) is a great choice for me live, I like the sound better than a 57 or 58 (used a 57 with a windscreen for years for vocals and it sounded great.)

The Shure KSM may be a good choice, or the Neumann KMS (notice the similar model. the Neumann was out long before the shure, and they are two different sounds)...

But a Sennheiser 935 or 945 might also work well for you.

I am not a fan of the 2020. Up against a Samson condensor, I chose the Samson every time. but that was just my ear, for my voice/guitar. for my situation.

You will need to try out a bunch to find the right one for you.

Heck (a little off topic)... I had a Radioshack mic that had an attached cable, about $18.00 new, it sounded really good in a kick drum. I used to have drummers bitching left and right (I offered to use their mics, but none ever brought their own....) gig after gig their buddies would tell them how good the kick sounded. Just an example, even the most unlikely may be the case for you.