Video Card? Or New computeR?

Hello, I just found this website last night, and i think it's great.

I just have a question about my computer/video card.

First my computer brief spec:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.80GHz, 896MB Ram
    with NVIDIA GeForce FX5500

and I am using Adobe Premier Pro 2.0 and I am trying to use Magic Bullet Editor. My computer has been fine with playback and rendering speed and whatnot before I use Magic Bullet last night, and when I was test driving some features from Magic Bullet, my playback was really struggling and rendering time was really long. (I used Diffusion Max for my wedding footage).
    I am not sure if I should get new computer with faster RAM and better processor, or just replace to better (and newer) video card, or else?

I thank ahead everyone who give lots of help on this website.

sincerely

JJ

Hi JJ

I use a P4 1.7GB machine with 512K ram and a little 128mb onboard video card and have absolutely no problems with speed. Your specs should be more than adequate for SD video. If you are going to HD then you will need a least a dual core board and tons of ram but for standard your specs are fine.
    I use Vegas 7 and also have the Magic Bullet plugin. Remember that there is an awful amount of FX rendering to do when you are trying to get a "film" look. It would be the same if you had a bunch of 5 second clips all with fancy transitions. That takes a lot more time to render as each and every frame has new information thruout the scan, unlike normal video where your frame info doesn't change a lot and only parts change.

A new machine may decrease the render time but it's not going to make a huge difference when your clip is being overlayed with full screen FX. If you have to use Magic Bullet then it's best to render while you are doing something else like watching TV or having a meal!! To see the difference render a clip of say, 30 seconds with and without FX and see the huge difference!!!

Chris

thank you so much for your advice, Chris.
    I am thinking about putting effect for short portion from the footage to see if I need any change from the preset and make any change if necessary.
    That way (as you said), i can spend little time previewing what I am trying to do, and render it while i am watching something loooong.... lol.
    again, thank you so much for your help.

jj

If you've had your computer for a while and you want to do a lot of video editing then you may want to think about doing a clean install of xp and only install the things you want for editing.

If you don't want to do that then I'd recommend at least defragging the hard drive and stopping all unnecessary processes from running at start up.
    If possible buy a second hard drive for storing your video files on. This makes a huge increase in performance since the operating system is not on the same drive as the video files.

Your graphics card is fine for video editing.

If you can afford it then a new dual core computer would be great and make sure it has its own hard drive for video.

Just my two cents worth.
    Cheers.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Yeah a nice big hard drive dedicated for large video source files is always handy!