Need help with choosing Video editing software

Hello-

I can use your help. I want to get some video editing software, probably something better than home movie editing.

Some of the particular tasks I want to be able to do are the following:

**Convert 4:3 to 16:9 and so forth (I have source video which I'll need to standardize)

**Adjust the color, hue, brightness, contrast, etc. of the raw video.

**Convert stereo to some form of 5:1 surround sound

**Edit individual frames (retouch, etc.)

**Ability to burn the finished work onto DVD.

**And all of the usual things like transitions, sound mixing, etc.

**DVD authoring is nice, but not a requirement at this point.

I have experience in photoshop, etc. and also in working audio (Cool Edit Pro), I now want to get into video with abilities on a commercial level.

I have not yet bought the computer system that will be use for this, so any suggestions on compatable platforms, screen types, memory needed, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated.

Anyone who might have suggestions, please post a reply,

Regards,

GS

Hi GS

It's all a personal choice with NLE's
    I wouldn't budge from Sony Vegas EVER!!! but then the Adobe Premiere users also say the same.
    Just stay away from the low budget editors that are designed more for the home video maker and your choice is narrowed down a lot.

Why not grab a demo of both Premiere Pro and Vegas 7 from their respective websites and see which one you are more comfortable with???

Both will do the job and more for you just which you find easier to use!!!

I have quite a lot of tutorials expressly for Vegas on the link below

http://www.softweigh.com/video/tutorials.html

Chris

Vegas 8

Chris-

Thank you kindly, I noticed that Sony now has Vegas 8. Any experience with that?

Anything I should look for (and purchase) when getting a computer system to drive this?

Thanks,

GS

I forgot

I forgot to ask,

How does the computer import the video, do you hook up a DV connection?

Greg

Hi Greg

I have Vegas 7 ..Version 8 is still a little pricey!! Versions 7 and 8 are essential only if you are doing High Definition. I still have Vegas 5 installed and it does a stunning job since I can't afford an HD cammy yet!!!

Most new computers will come with a Firewire Card as standard but they are inexpensive even if you have to buy one. ONLY transfer with Firewire!! Analogue or USB Transfer will give you a huge quality loss!!! and very small capture sizes (usually 320x240) Your end result must be a DV-AVI file (720x 480) or (720x576) so it's native to the camcorder format.

Vegas has it's own capture software with the package. I dunno what camera you are using but the cam's own digital capture software may be better (I use Panasonic Motion DV Studio to capture cos it also allow me to control the camera and set edit capture points)

Hope this helps

Chris