Eliminating Feedback In A Practice Room

Hello,

I am new here but I hope some of you will jump in and help me out. I am in a 5 piece pop punk band who plays in a relatively small (but adequate) practice room. The problem we have with the room and our pa, is feedback. We have a nice mackie 1500 w amp to our JBL mains. Despite the ring, the sound is pretty good. However, with everyone playing, its very hard to hear the vocals. I use in ear monitors and its difficult to hear myself. What can I do to a.) gate the noise from the band just enough to where I hear mostly myself in my in ear reference phones, and b.) how do we eliminate feedback from turniing the level on the microphones to wear they are audible.

Any help? It would be greatly appreciated.

Few ways to cut feedback

1. What mic are you using? If its a small room, you need a hypercardiod. I'd suggest the OM7

2. How's your EQ? If you are expierienced at EQ's, you can cut the certain frequency that is feedbacking, or you can use a driverack to help here. Check the DBX Driverack, it has auto feedback cutting, and many other good end of chain pa effects like compression, master gate, master eq, etc.

3. Are you smart or a retard? If you get a hypercardiod, but the mic is still facing the speakers, it won't help. If your going to use a pa system, you should always be looking forward at the speakers.

4. Is ambiance a problem? If you are working in a room with concrete or tile floors, and unpadded walls, thats a problem. Sound will accumluate in wierd funky ways. Just put towels down on the ground to stop this, that should help immensly. Also don't forget to put one under the speakers if they aren't lifted. This will get rid of the extra bass resenonce that comes from speakers not being lifted.

Try these, if you still have a problem, your room might be too small.

Ultimately it sounds like you suffer from what most bands do, you are too loud at practice... no need for half stacks and bass fridges to get your songs together, save those for the show!

if you are using in ears and can't get yourself loud enough then there is definitely a problem. you could ring out the feedback freqs that are causing trouble, but really it just sounds like you need to turn everything down...

I've been playing in bands for over 14 years, it's the ones that practice softer that have been the best.