Locking layers in the table

Does anyone knows how in Front Page to lock a layer in the table cell or layout table cell? So the positioning of the layer will be relative to that particular cell, not to the edges of the page. Why do I ask? I will try to be more specific - I put the layer, with certain positioning and it works with the table if the table is alighed left. If the table is aligned - center and there are different monitors and monitor settings, the table goes its own way and the layer/s are still relative to the page's edge.
    Sorry if this explanation or the question itself is idiotic.
    Thank you
    Lev

Blog Entries
    Try this:

Code:
    <div style="position:relative;">
    This assumes you know how to edit the page's HTML. If not, I'm sorry but I don't know how to do it using Frontpage's WYSIWYG view. You need to look in the layer's properties and find the position value (make it relative instead of absolute).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave,
    Thank you for the reply.
    As I came from very much visual/graphic background, WYSIWYG phylosophy is much closer for me. Unfortunately, it does not work that much for web design - have to learn at least basics of HTML -does not scare me that much, by the way...
    Still, can you help me with this topic a little more, please. Can you post a code for simple blank page with two cell layout table with empty layer locked in one of them? It will help me to understand better what are relations in the code. If it is too much to ask, please, do not bother, I would not want to take too much of your time.
    Thank you in advance.
    Lev

Blog Entries
    Have a play with this:
    Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Web Page Title</title>
    </head>

<body>

<table>
    <tr>
    <td width="200">
    <div style="position:absolute;background-color:green;">This is a layer. It uses the DIV tag. The position is absolute, making it relative to the page.</div>
    </td>
    <td width="200">
    <div style="position:relative;background-color:red;">This layer is positioned relative to it's container (the table). </div>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

</body>
    </html>
    Try changing "position:absolute" to "position:relative" in the first layer to see the change.

Good to hear that you're okay about learning HTML. To be honest this sort of stuff is hopelessly problematic in WYSIWYG mode. You really need to get under the hood and do it properly. Lots to learn but it saves you heaps of time in the long run.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave,
    Thanks a lot. I will experiment with this tonight. If just it works it will give me a great flexibility.
    I am very happy that I did find you site - I am having many questions along the way and there was no one to help, practically, until now.
    So thank you again.
    Warmest regards
    Lev