Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ASaudcom

Request for help on combining stereo PC speaker cables

Hi, I would like to ask is it possible to have 3 computers share 1 stereo speaker? Do I have to

1) Prepare 4 male to male 1.4" stereo jack cables,
    2) Cut of 1 end of the cable for all cables,
    3) solder all 4 cables together from the exposed wire ends,
    4) connect 3 jacks into 3 PCs for output, 1 jack into the speaker?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

ASaudcom

Blog Entries
    First of all, to be picky, stereo requires two speakers. If you have one speaker, it's mono.

I'm not at all convinced that your suggested plan is a good idea but I'd like to talk to a couple of other people before giving you a proper reply. Scratch or Nuts could answer better than me. In any case I'll make sure you have a reply ASAP.

In the meantime could you clarify a couple of things:
    Are all your computers going to be turned on and outputting sound at the same time?
    Do you need sound from different computers at the same time, or would it be okay to switch between them?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

djmatch

stereo spkrs on three comps.

the eze way out is to have an audio switcher box to select your source of sound ie. comp. one comp. two etc. etc. these boxes are used with audio visual equipment to hook up different sources at the same time.
    but if you are gonna run all three sources at once the sound output is gonna be a mess of noize.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, djmatch is right really.

By plugging multiple outputs into a single speaker you'll be messing up your impedances and creating all sorts of trouble. I agree that a switcher is the best option.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

ASaudcom
    Here are my replies.

Qn: Are all your computers going to be turned on and outputting sound at the same time?

Ans: Yes, all my computers are going to be turned on, and yes they will output sound at the same time.

Qns: Do you need sound from different computers at the same time, or would it be okay to switch between them?

Ans: Yes, I also need sound from different computers at the same time. Switching is not an option here.

I think I will just use 1 mono speaker here. Due to circumstances I can only use 1 speaker here for all 3 computers. 2 or more computers will output sound at the same time. But they won't be outputting the same sound (ie. slightly different sound files will be used) for differentiation purposes.

Thank you.

Blog Entries
    In that case I think you're looking at a mixer. Can you afford to buy yourself a cheap sound mixer? If you click the "Store" link at the top of this page and use the Amazon form to search for "sound mixer" you'll see a few inexpensive options. This would definitely be the best bet.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

ASaudcom
    Oh, the mixers can do the job? Ok, I'll check out the mixers first. Thank you very much.

tsadpt

Request for help on combining stereo PC speaker cables

Hi there! I am thinking of doing something similar - I have a boat with cra stereo speakers in the cockpit, and want to link in the remote speaker output from my VHF 2-way radio to one of the speakers - so it would be like a normal car stereo system with one of the speakers hooked up to another source. I don't want to go down the rout of mixers etc, and it would be quite rare that both sources are on at once, but would I be doing any damage if I hooked it up like this? (the VHF radio requires either a 4 ohm or 8 ohm speaker, so a car speaker should be fine)

David

It is never a good idea to wire to seperate sources to one speaker. You are, in effect, feeding the output of one source into the output of the other source. It would be the same as plugging the output of the stereo directly into the output of your VHF radio. Plugging an output into an output can not be a good thing. I'm not saying it won't work, it probably will.....but how long before you blow one of the outputs?
    You could use diodes etc to stop the signal travelling into the other output, but surely another seperate speaker would be simpler.
    My advice?.......don't do it.

tsadpt
    Thanks Scratch!

The problem I've got is finding flat surfaces to cut jet more hiles in my boat!! (speakers have to be a certain distance from compases etc!) -Would the diode trick work? would I need to fit diodes to just the +ve terminals or to the -ve too?

Stereo+---------->I------I-------I<-------------+VHF

+
    speaker
    -

Stereo- ----------I<-------I------->I------------- -VHF

I guess the diodes would have to be high power (stereo has an output of 52 Watts per channel) - What shoudl I look for in a diode!?

Thanks!

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast