new jvc 3ccd 60 gig hi def cam

hi
    any thoughts on this cam im thinking of getting one to do weddings and theater production videoing
    thanx

Hi Electro31

Just bear in mind that a Hard Disk Cammy using a lot of compression to store your video so if you are going to edit it, be very careful about quality loss. The Hard Disk Cams are brilliant if you are going to edit "in camera" but I would personally stay with a DV tape medium if you are likely to edit the footage. Also bear in mind that unless you have tons of money High Definition DVD writers and also players are expensive and not that common yet. For the moment most HiDef users ens up with Standard Def video as a standard DVD can only hold around 6 minutes of footage. To experience Hi Def you need to be able to write to a Blu-Ray disk and your clients also need a Blu-Ray player and a Hi-Def TV!!!

Chris

Chris is right. Although I must say that HDD compression (so far) s satisfactory at least on an SD playback, unless you want to watch the end product on a Hi-Def TV or 100" projector set up (might see some loss of details/breaking of pixels).

But it is good to future-proof. I use a HDV cam (mini-DV tape with HDD recording capability) but shoot on SD for now.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Davy Eager
    Hi

I use a JVC hd3 and get very good results in SD. If you do buy one make sure you get editing software that can handle .tod file extensions.

I use Ulead video studio 11.5, but the latest vegas (studio9 platinum) handles the files as does Pinnacle studio 10. Adobe premier does not recognize the .tod files.

Davy

I concur with Chris. If you plan on doing some serious editing, I wouldn't go with mpg2 storage in the camera. Sure there is pretty good compression codecs but you'll want avi dv to get clean edits and a lossless picture.

Remember, each time you need to convert video, you lose quality.

Chris, I disagree with the tons of money bit. You can now pick up a Blu-Ray Re-Writer for under $300. This is great news for High Def'ers. It's coming fast.