New hear. Intro and Questions.

Hey all, names Phil 19 years old been shooting with terrible quality cameras(digicam video function, jvc lowenders, canon zr500 currently) for years and im alright at the whole film thing i guess. I also like to think that im a good editor aswell but thats just my opinion. Id really like to get into the industry as an independant videographer(weddings, music videos, sports footage) because i like the idea of working for myself. I currently focus alot on mountain and BMX bike footage as thats the only thing i have to film right now.

Anyways on to business. Ive been saving my nickles and dimes and i just about have enough now to get the camera ive dreamt about for the last year, the Canon GL2. What i want to know is how do you who have it find it in terms of functionality? Easy to use or difficult? The quality after editing?. I hope im asking the right questions.

Also im seriously considering putting the cash down on a Century Optics MK2 fisheye. Does anyone on here use it actively? How do you like it? Is it worth the $1000 price tag or is there something more reasonable?

Anyways thats all i have to say for now.

And heres a quick video for your viewing enjoyment(first i ever made, a project for school.)http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...37480742297090

Hi Phil, good to have you here. Before I continue, I'd like you to know that I don't own any Canon stuff (though I've worked on them before) and I've not tried the GL2. Also I cannot comment on the fisheye cos I do not even have friends who use it.

My thoughts:
    I think the functions of the GL2 is neat camera, and yes it will be a big leap of quality to what you will get. It is not hard to use. The in-built mic will do well for general pick-up of sound, but I think you might want to consider purchasing MA-300 mic adapter (this is the only grudge I bear against it) to add better external microphones later on (that also depends on your judgement on how well the on-board mic performs based on the work you want to do).

Additional thoughts:
    It is not near sufficient just to have a fantastic camera without any other support. Just like getting Porsche car without its engine. Progressively add to the entire setup with a decent editing program (if you haven't have one) and additional lights later on.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Quote: nagar
    View Post
    Additional thoughts:
    It is not near sufficient just to have a fantastic camera without any other support. Just like getting Porsche car without its engine. Progressively add to the entire setup with a decent editing program (if you haven't have one) and additional lights later on.
    Of course your correct i would be stupid to think that i could get along soley on my new camera.

I run Final Cut Pro HD on my editing computer(computer that only runs that and photoshop) And i plan to upgrade the mic and lighting within the next year aswell as get another Camera.

I think go XH-A1

It's the HD version of the GL so it will last for years to come.
    It has a mic input for expansion
    It's not overly expensive.

You will want HD in the future, you will need a mic input, and its not too expensive.

I think the GL will go out of date, of course, thats a debate, but, I think people will be going all HD not too far from now.

It gets the job done at the FUTURE professional level, while the GL2 will go out pretty soon

Just a thought.

Vary debatable though, but I would get the XH-A1, its a beginner/pro camera, vary great, can do SD and HD, $3000 (same as XL2), and it won't be passed up with much better technology for a long time saying its 1080i.

Blog Entries
    I've never used the GL2 but it certainly comes highly recommended.

I have to say I'm in the HD (or at least HDV) camp myself. Although hi-def is only just beginning to make a noise in my country, I'm future-proofing myself as much as possible. If you can afford it and it won't compromise the rest of your setup, I would consider an HDV camera.

FWIW I went with the Sony HVR-Z1P and I'm happy with it. You definitely need an external mic though - the onboard one is too omni-directional.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Future proofing is good based on your need and call. I wanted to add that in my 'additional thoughts' but I think we've discussed that not too little on many other threads, so I thought I might want to stay off that track but it's good that the rest have brought it up. What's more you use FCP HD too! I see HD taking over 30% of the market in the region I am in for the next 2-3 years (the other neighboring countries are much bigger and so much infrastructure is needed to move towards HD).

I use the Sony HVR-V1P (PAL), records SD/HDV on miniDV/HDD, and I love it.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore