Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Studio Floor

SHARPSHOOTER

Studio Floor

hi there, this is my first post.. pls i m investing all i hav worked for into a recording studio. Please i need advice on the best material for the studio flooring, we tried wood but we kip hearing the sounds of dolly and footsteps during shoot. thanx for your help. thanx. onye ubanatu.

Most studios I've been in are poured concrete slabs. The concrete drys flat and dollies with 3" diameter (or larger) wheels tend not to make noise unless they're squeaking themselves.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

2 questions: is it a commercial building, (if so, what floor are you on)?

and: what is the floor made of underneath?

Concrete IS the best floor, but if that is not an option, or it's not providing enough isolation from the rest of the building, then you may need to build an isolated (floating) floor over top. Over the bare floor cover the entire area with Owens-corning 703 rigid fiberglass (1/2"). On top of this, put down 3/4 inch plywood, leaving 1/4 gap along all walls. Secure it every square foot or so to the structural floor underneath. Fill the gap all the way around with 1/4" x 3/4" foam rubber stripping. Caulk all the seams. Cover this with the flooring of your choice. Any areas that will have alot of weight may need additional support from 1/2" thick rubber strips (not foam, but solid) under the plywood.

There are other methods with other materials. but this works well for the cost. It will stop almost all vibrations coming through the floor. But if you HEAR the noise, it's probably coming through the walls. Now you're into soundproofing as apposed to vibration damping.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

SHARPSHOOTER
    thnx guys i really apreciate it. i m talkin with a friend of mine (engineer) on the replies i got from you guys. but its actually a small studio and i was thinkin of a lil material i can just tape or roll on the floor to reduce or probably eliminate footsteps... Its a small budget studio i must confess. Please any further help will be apreciated. God bless y"all.
    onye ubanatu

I have a slab floor, with Green paint that cover walls, floor, and celling (I have sets that cover the floor where i need them. also i used a concrete sealer over the paint that has a ultra low gloss to keep the shine down. and it works like a champ, and cleans right up if i spill anything.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Carpet.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Quote: penniesfromheaven
    View Post
    Carpet.
    the problem with this is the dolly that he mentioned. the dolly will not roll smooth on it and would see it in the video work.
    Manoni Productions

SHARPSHOOTER

NEW 1.... SONY Z1E for a film

ok guys thnx for the rely... gr8 ideas....
    Now i v got a feature film to shoot and i v got a sony z1e. i want to achiv a film look.. Pls wat are the techniques????
    This is urgent. thanks guys.

Quote: onyeubanatu
    View Post
    Now i v got a feature film to shoot and i v got a sony z1e. i want to achiv a film look.. Pls wat are the techniques????
    What?

You want to know how to archive footage? Just make sure you label the tapes well, as well as each scene. If you have the money, use an external HD for each project.
    Manoni Productions

Another New Member

my secret decoder ring says....

Thank you very much for your replies, you have given me some great ideas.
    My next dilemma is, I have a sony z1e camera, and I am hoping to achieve a "film" look. could anyone please give me advice on how to achieve this look?
    I am pressed for time, and urgently need to learn the techniques to achieve this look. Thank you very much, .......

This is strictly my interpretation of the question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast