Capturing Device/Software to correct dark video

I understand there is an issue with capturing from a VCR or Camera where the codec causes the captured video to be darker than it is on the cameras LCD. is there a device or software that can be used to copy raw video without the codec, to ensure the correct video effects?

The only issues like this I know if is in digital cameras that add pedestal for the screen on the camera but don't on output. Simply using video editing software and adding 7.5 IRE (the difference between 0 IRE NTSC-J/DV black and NTSC standard/-M "Video Black") will fix this.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Sorry you lost me there, what is 7.5 IRE? I have not seen that in any of the software that I have.

Hi Rick
    Since you are mentioning a VCR are you maybe capturing analogue and not digital video??? If you are capturing digital via firewire to a DV-AVI file then there is unlikely to be any difference.
    However analogue capture devices more often than not use their own internal codec and this can make a huge difference to the captured result. I briefly used a "USB capture unit" to grab some old SVHS footage and apart from horrific sync problems, yes, the video was WAY darker and I had to use the software that came with the unit to recapture with the brightness pushed up a lot more.

If you are capturing analogue then it's a good idea to use a firewire bridge (like the Datavideo DAC200) which brings your analogue signal in and outputs it as firewire.

Let us have more details of what you are doing and we might be able to help

Chris

Actually I am capturing using a PV-GS250 Panasonic digital camera utilizing firewire directly into my pennacle capture card and the video is very dark on the software monitor and it is also very dark after rendering it on DVD. I have a number of applications that I have tried and they all come out the same way. I have done some research on the IRE situation and understand what they are talking about, however, I have not been able to find a software that will correct the IRE and going into the brightness on the video rendering software does not correct this, it comes out very bad. (hazy) also one of the problems that I have is that the video that I am working with needs to be produced in NTSC/7.5 IRE for here in the states and also in PAL/0 IRE for our relatives in Italy. so without having an application that can correct this and make adjustments as needed, it is going to be very difficult to do. unless someone can help.

thanks

Hi Rick

I might be wrong but the Pinnacle Cards I have used and seen don't tend to be IEEE 1394 Firewire and that might be the problem.
    I get really great results from both my Panasonics but I send the firewire output from the cameras directly into a generic IEEE 1394 firewire card on my 'puter (they cost under $30)
    I then use Motion DV Studio as the capture software (made for Panasonic) and it's also very handy cos it can control the cameras too (like reversing in play mode) etc etc. It is usually shipped with the camcorder too so it is free!!!

I find with this setup my video is 100% perfect and needs absolutely no adjustment and I can then import the DV-AVI file into Vegas 7 and do my editing.

Since you are running a Panny camera I would give that option a try!!

Chris