Thread: audio volume

audio volume

Hi Everyone,

I need some help. I produce a Polka show on the Public Access Facility (PAF) channels in 26 cities. I started taking video in 1984 and use video from 5 different camcorders. In putting my program together, I use video from the 5 different camcorders with 6 SVHS VCR's and 2 DVD record/players. I usually shoot outdoors at 5 different locations.

So naturally I get different volumes from the cassettes played on my SVHS\Vcr's and finally recorded onto a SVHS with a monitor as the end
    element. I then transfer the SVHS to a DVD-R for the PAF. With all these units in play (not all hooked together all the time) the volumes are different which makes my program in need of something to keep the volume level at the same degree.

This is my first time on this net and I hope I am doing this correctly.

Polkatively, edwintargonski@verizon.net

We all would love to help here, and we can, but the info you are giving us is a little mirky. I think you may start with getting a common level of audio input at all 5 sights. I don't know the mics you are using, or the cams, but my first focus would be on getting the db levels the same for all 5 loc's. Trial and error. I understand it can be time consuming, but like Barney Fife said, "Nick it in the bud!".

I've recorded live shows for bands at different loc's and put them together for albums. The biggest problem for me is the mic placement: to get the same background ambience/music level at all loc's.

(btw, polka wins my heart every time. Is Kalamazoo, MI on the list?)

You didn't mention a computer program. Is there one involved? It could be counteracted there. Tell us more.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Quote: penniesfromheaven
    View Post
    We all would love to help here, and we can, but the info you are giving us is a little mirky. I think you may start with getting a common level of audio input at all 5 sights. I don't know the mics you are using, or the cams, but my first focus would be on getting the db levels the same for all 5 loc's. Trial and error. I understand it can be time consuming, but like Barney Fife said, "Nick it in the bud!".

I've recorded live shows for bands at different loc's and put them together for albums. The biggest problem for me is the mic placement: to get the same background ambience/music level at all loc's.

(btw, polka wins my heart every time. Is Kalamazoo, MI on the list?)

You didn't mention a computer program. Is there one involved? It could be counteracted there. Tell us more.

Holy crap, you are in Kalamazoo, MI? i always thought that was a Joke.

He is right, i would also try to use the same mic if possible for all 5 locals.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

No joke, there really is a Kalamazoo. Nice place.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Most video/broadcast jobs I've worked on used a lot of limiting/compression. depending on your editing setup, you may want to look into the option of using a compressor/limiter to help keep your peaks and dips closer. Comps are not for the newbies, though and really take a good bit of time to set correctly, specially with what you need it to do.

Quote: penniesfromheaven
    View Post
    No joke, there really is a Kalamazoo. Nice place.
    They even have their own DMA and ADI.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Quote: tonsofpcs
    View Post
    They even have their own DMA and ADI.
    And proud of it!

Quote: Edwin Targonski
    View Post
    I use video from the 5 different camcorders with 6 SVHS VCR's and 2 DVD record/players.
    All 5 cams same make or diff ?. what about mics ? is there a boom stick operator/recordist with each cam ?.

This is a bit off topic, you don't have DV cams and non-linear editing system?.