first time on audio mixer

I am going to start running a sound mixer at my church, and was wondering if anyone had any tips as far as feedback goes. This is not a big room, it does not give out to much reverb, so I really dont know what to expect. Any suggestions? This is a six channel mixer, so I dont think it will be to bad.

Well, there isn't too much to suggest. Alot depends on speaker placement, room acoustics, mic type and use, etc. Most feed back can be tuned out with an eq adjustment. Listen for ringing, which is a low level feedback that dies out. You kinda have to train your ears to tell what frequency is feeding back and use the eq to cut just that frequency down a bit.

Also, where a person with a mic stands in relation to the speakers can cause feedback, or where the mics are pointed.

See if you can get in there when nothing is going on and play with it for an hour, like a dry run. Post back what ever you run in to and I can get more specific. Be blessed!
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

well the only problum I can see is there is no mid range on that mixer, there is only high and low. So what should I do if I get a mid range feedback ring?

Turn down the fader and/or input trimpot until it stops and then increase the lows and highs to bring them back up. an outboard equilizer would make it easier, like a 1/3 graphic eq, but it sounds like you may not have that option. Is there anyone that ran sound before you that you can benefit from? If your'e on your own I would be blessed to assist further!
    Last edited by penniesfromheaven; 27th Oct 2007 at 20:52.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Well I am on my owne, and what makes it even harder, is, well, I am blind. I think they put me on the mixer because they know I have vary good hearing. Now I have another question, on the mixer, I do have a fader to move, but on top of the high/low, there is a gain knob. Why is that there?

Fisrt, I commend you for your service to the Lord, blind or not. Your ears are an asset to HIS service.

Those controls at the top are for the input levels to the mixer (called "input trim pots, short for potentiometers). They control the pre-amps in the mixer. The slide faders contol the output of each channel. There is a master slide fader that controls the final output of the mixer (it may be just a knob) Since you have no help, start with the input trim pots at half way. Then adjust the faders at the bottom of the board so there is no distortion or feedback. You may have to go back and forth between the two to get it right.

I can help more if you tell me what model is the mixer and all the other equipment God put you in charge of( don't you love how He does that?)
    More Blessings!

I want to thank you for all the help, I will let you know how it goes tonight.

well, everything went well, unless you count the time that I just got there and I turned the polpitt mic to high and I got a lot of feedback. Noone was there at the time, so that would not count.