Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Quote: Dave
    I'm not sure about adding new posts but I suspect it may cause problems. I actually meant to ask you how you imported your messages into vB - did you import directly from WebBBS to vB? If so, how?
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ghlight=webbbs

http://www.smokstak.com/

Blog Entries
    Thanks Harry, I do remember seeing that script now. I know that the official vB importer has been promising a WebBBS option for a while and I was hoping it would be released before I need it. However now that I've seen what you've accomplished with the one from vbulletin.org I'd be a lot more confident about using it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

A few notes as posted on vbulletin.org

================

After successful conversion of my major WebBBS archive boards, I'd like to proceed to converting my other WebBBS boards into my vb board forums.

One major question comes up: Since I have created an additional forum on my vb site, will these current threads and posts interfere with more WebBBS archive posts converting in?

Obviously, these interim posts have been numbered with the vb thread and post counters, so I'm looking to find out if this will upset the wagon. Can I add more archival posts to the same forum as I converted before, or do they need to go to a "new" forum?

It it apparent that ALL posts and threads on a vb system share the same counters.

====================

I set up another forum, got its assigned number (21) and placed it into wbb3convert and then imported an additional 735 posts including 238 threads.

I ran "Rebuild Forum Information" before and after converting. After the import, running "Rebuild Forum Information" reducess the above numbers to 547 posts including 238 threads.

I have repeated this process several times with the same results. (I'm getting good at mysqldump and mysql restore!)

It is apparent that the missing posts from forum #21 have landed into forum #2. They don't belong there. Why is this happening?

===================

Giving up on the above, I tried bringing in my main forum (the one that was a partner with the 65,000 archive files previously converted) and all appeared to go well.

The very annoying thing about this script is that if records appear to be posts in another forum's threads, IT WILL ATTEMPT TO PUT THEM THERE! I could be just fine without this feature! It automatically put about 50 posts in the archives. (You edit the script with a variable indicating the "number" of the forum you want records to go into.) I'd prefer it to FORCE feed into that forum. I'll move them later if I want them moved.

Over-all, this thing seems to work, but if you have several WebBBS forums like I do, you may be out of luck. This script wants you to sequentially add posts by number, no matter which forum they came from or which forum you want them to go into.

Dave, if you or others could download this script and digest it, you might pull some ideas. Make sure that you get the WBB3 script as the VB2 script is at the head of the thread. No one appears to be currently reading that thread or at least answering, but me.

-- Harry

I didn't log in for the above post.

Here's a quote from off the web:

"One extremely important point. If you have multiple webbbs forums, which I presume most people do, you will need to clear the originalid and previousid bookmark fields from the vbulletin post table after each forum conversion, (using an update query). This is not documented in the instructions. The script relies on these "bookmark" fields and if you don't clear out the previous forum's data from these fields, your threads will be hopelessly jumbled."

I'm on a rapid learning curve here! Becoming familiar with mysql, mysqldump and myphpadmin. I caught on OK to adding the following:

ALTER TABLE post ADD COLUMN originalid int(5);
    ALTER TABLE post ADD COLUMN previousid int(5);

What I didn't understand is what they meant by "clearing" them. Having actually "looked at" my post tables for all records, it is evident that each record RETAINS this data forever unless you clear it. Vbulletin doesn't use them, but they most certainly could mess up another board coming in with identical WebBBS record numbers, unless you were adding to the same board, like my main board / archive board as above. This is why it kept the threads together and sent 50 records to the archives!

To bring in a totally separate board, these added fields need to be cleared! How to do it? Eliminate the COLUMNS and then add them again? What is the DELETE column command?

Lots of questions, lots of sleepless nights, lots of hacking away at learning this stuff and putting it to work! I'm talking too much here - I should SELL this crap!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the updates Harry. I'm really sorry that I haven't been as active in this thread as I want to be. I have a habit of getting sidetracked with other things and I've had to suspend work on my forums for a few weeks. I will try and look at your issues more closely as soon as I can and see if I can add anything useful (don't hold your breath).

I really wish they would finish the WebBBS module for the official vBulletin importer.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

The Answer!

:idea: From the script originator:

"You will have to clear out the values in the originalid column as the post numbers that webbbs uses overlap on seperate forums (for example, foruma.cgi might have a post #423 and so will forumb.cgi). Run a query similar to the following after importing each individual forum:"

UPDATE `post` SET originalid = NULL;

I'm getting it! I was just in on myphpadmin looking at the data and I see that each record retains this previous/next numeric data. After the records are converted in, Vbulletin doesn't need that information and the ONLY reason that I would need it is if additional records from the SAME board were to be brought in.

I also saw that records added by Vbulletin were NULL in those fields, therefore, interim posting on Vbulletin shouldn't matter.

It is when I need to bring in an unrelated board with record numbers in a lower or different range than before, that the new fields need to be NULLed.

My board system has related forums and unrelated forums. I'm thinking of having two sets of "originalid and previousid" fields and using two different import scripts so as to manage importing these related and unrelated forums. When you don't have anyone to talk to, you talk to the wall (read bulletin board.) Sometimes you get an answer and sometimes your own light bulb glows.

Howard
    Dave,
    Can I email you one message from my webbbs and see if you are able to convert it to phpbb?
    Thanks!
    Howard

Blog Entries
    Hi Howard,

Send it through but I can't make any promises. I'm flat to the boards with a video project at the moment and it's taking all my time. Also, the conversion to phbbb is a bit of a drama.

What do you want me to do with the resulting MySQL database? Do you want the database, or do you just want to see if it works?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks... I've been hacking my brains out trying to figure out why it won't work. I don't know your email to send to?

I would just like to see if it works on your end and then maybe you can tell me what the heck I've got set wrong. I'm so frustrated with this thing and I've got tons and tons of wwwboard messages I need to urgently bring into php.

I get:

[ webBBS to phpBB Converter 0.8 ]
    Max Baker <max@warped.org>
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run at Sun Nov 7 22:13:33 2004
    Using WebBBS data from :

Files :
    Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./webbbs_to_phpbb.pl line 87.
    -> Total Message Files Available :
    Use of uninitialized value in division (/) at ./webbbs_to_phpbb.pl line 93.
    Illegal division by zero at ./webbbs_to_phpbb.pl line 93.

Blog Entries
    mail AT dave DOT co DOT nz
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast