Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    USA - in front of my computer (too much of the time)
    Quote: Dave
    Thanks Lynne. The response has generally been better than we'd thought it would be. A few people have got a bit upset but even the naysayers have accepted it.

Actually, it probably helps that WebBBS kept crashing our server! We explained that we had to change software to stop this from happening so we had a good reason to justify the change.

On that topic, our server load has eased dramatically. If you're familiar with *nix server loads, it's not supposed to go above 1 for any length of time and if you're staying around 5+ you're in trouble. WebBBS was sending our load to an incredible 10 to 17!!! In all my years I've never seen a linux server try to cope with a load like that for hours at a time. It was constantly crashing, and even when it was going it was terribly slow. Since changing to vB the server load hasn't reached 2 and spends much of its time on around 0.5. I'm absolutely ecstatic.

I don't know what's been happening over at WebBBS but I really hope Kevin takes this issue seriously very soon. Quite frankly WebBBS is a danger to servers unless it has restrictions placed on the account.
    that is really quite a difference. Wonder if it is mostly from the different database setup? Mysql, right?

what's happening over at webbbs.. well, depends on where you look. Tarty's board.. well, there is alway something in the burner there.

the v6 webbbs board, not any activity for a while... so much for the one man does it so much faster theory...

Quote: Dave
    Actually, it probably helps that WebBBS kept crashing our server! We explained that we had to change software to stop this from happening so we had a good reason to justify the change.

On that topic, our server load has eased dramatically. If you're familiar with *nix server loads, it's not supposed to go above 1 for any length of time and if you're staying around 5+ you're in trouble. WebBBS was sending our load to an incredible 10 to 17!!! In all my years I've never seen a linux server try to cope with a load like that for hours at a time. It was constantly crashing, and even when it was going it was terribly slow. Since changing to vB the server load hasn't reached 2 and spends much of its time on around 0.5. I'm absolutely ecstatic.
    actually, even though I think having the MySql database makes a big difference, you won't really be able to compare until your new database has as many messages as the old. Since you weren't able to migrate the old messages. Right now, your new database (total number of messages) is very small compared to the old, right?

Harry migrated everything, right? Maybe he might have some stats to compare between the old and new?

Blog Entries
    That is a good point. It has worried me a bit that I have no idea how a large database is going to affect our forums and I'm just going to have to wait and see. However my understanding is that the size of the mysql database shouldn't affect its performance - that's supposed to be one of the advantages of this type of database.

The old webbbs forum couldn't cope with more than a couple of months worth of messages, so I suppose in a couple of months I'll be able to make a better comparison.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Just go to http://www.smokstak.com/forum/ and the main stats are at the bottom of the page. Over 1,500 users now and with posts having views of over 3,000 it's about a 1:1 ratio of Guests to Registerd. Sadly, Subscribers are 1:10 with Registered users.

More stats:
    Data Usage 117.65 MB
    Index Usage 34.26 MB
    Attachment Usage 47.88 MB
    Profile Picture Usage 2.74
    New Users Today 10
    New Threads Today 9
    Unique Members Today 405

Imagine! That's 88,270 posts and 1,522 members in a 118MB data file!

Mysqldump backup = 92MB and that zips down to 29MB.

Uptime: 21:05:13 up 34 days, 2:01, 1 user, load average: 0.58, 0.40, 0.35

Top:
    21:06:29 up 34 days, 2:02, 1 user, load average: 0.50, 0.41, 0.36
    117 processes: 116 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
    CPU states: cpu user nice system irq softirq iowait idle
    total 4.0% 0.0% 0.8% 0.0% 0.0% 4.2% 90.7%
    cpu00 4.5% 0.0% 0.5% 0.0% 0.0% 7.9% 86.8%
    cpu01 6.7% 0.0% 2.1% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 91.0%
    cpu02 1.9% 0.0% 0.3% 0.0% 0.0% 9.1% 88.4%
    cpu03 2.7% 0.0% 0.3% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 96.8%
    Mem: 1028508k av, 890864k used, 137644k free, 0k shrd, 49456k buff
    540844k actv, 204396k in_d, 13864k in_c
    Swap: 2048276k av, 84772k used, 1963504k free 696804k cached

Stats? How many stats do you want?

The new Photo Gallery is doing fine: http://www.smokstak.com/gallery/

The Chat Room needs work - it's one of those "one man band" software deals that you are all too familiar with.

I still say that the entire AWSD site is in a state of reality denial.

comparison stats

Harry, do you have any stats from webbbs to compare this to?

Perhaps stats where the number of posts (size of database) was about the same? Then we can really see the difference...

What type of statistic in particular?

Quote: Harry
    What type of statistic in particular?
    I personally was interested in the difference having the MySQL database vs the WebBBS database (berkeley - for the most part).

So, I guess I was wondering if you could tell me how many posts in the new database, the server stats for that, and perhaps you had some old stats from when the webbbs database had the same number of posts (and I'm probably dreaming if I think you have those - but I can always hope).

I guess I'm saying that Yes, I see it is much better.. but I really can't make a real comparison unless you are comparing 2 similar databases with similar activity.

imo, the stats would have much more impact if I could make a direct comparison. Be kind of fun to post this on awsd.. Actually, I would probably get more discussion posting it on Tarty's forum.

So.. if you have some old stats, save them for when your current database gets to the same size.

All of the old posts *are* in the new vBulletin system.

Here is a "du -sh" of the old WebBBS data directories:

4.9M 1999file
    21M 2000file
    43M 2001file
    89M 2002file
    79M 2003file
    49M 2004file
    3.4M paintfile
    28M smokfile
    6.3M sprkfile
    5.8M steamfile
    2.9M trivfile

As you can see, those are all packed into my sql database and then some!

vBulletin? - Just do it!

I don't know why I had the idea you hadn't been able to convert everything...

but do you have some old stats from when you were running these forums under webbbs?

I really can't put my finger on anything. Just let me assure you that there are a lot more reasons to switch to vBulletin than just server loads.

I can't get my classified ads moved off WebBBS soon enough! The registration and password system is terrible and administrative control is worse. I know, I've been successful after all these years, but after seeing the light of day, I cannot go backwards.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast