Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    USA - in front of my computer (too much of the time)
    Quote: Harry
    I really can't put my finger on anything. Just let me assure you that there are a lot more reasons to switch to vBulletin than just server loads.

I can't get my classified ads moved off WebBBS soon enough! The registration and password system is terrible and administrative control is worse. I know, I've been successful after all these years, but after seeing the light of day, I cannot go backwards.
    Harry, I do not want you to go backwards!!!

I just think that to say:

My car is 5 times faster than it used to be since I've added my new super duper engine - see my before and after times.

gets your attention much faster than :

My car is fast now that I have a new engine.

(well, of course it is...)

it would just be very interesting to have a better idea of what difference it made. This is not so I can convert.. my boards are so small, I could run them on a put put machine.. and I get no revenue from them.

but before/after stats would make a more interesting post on .. another forum

Here are the "stats" that speak for themselves:

Vbulletin.com Threads: 126,613, Posts: 801,520, Members: 67,855

Vbulletin.org Threads: 47,950, Posts: 445,237, Members: 68,307

Vbadvanced.com Threads: 5,576, Posts: 33,942, Members: 10,193

Vbulletintemplates.com Threads: 6,852, Posts: 51,386, Members: 27,249

Compare the above vbulletin support forum messages and member counts to those at http://awsd.com/scripts/forum/webbbs/index.cgi

Messages Posted Within the Last 1 Week 39 of 1,171 Messages Displayed Registered users: 17

And I think you SEE the light. How's that for stats?

Blog Entries
    Update from me... The Race Cafe has gone from 0 to 5,000 posts and the server load hasn't budged. It's still not a direct comparison with WebBBS because we ran that at around 15-20,000 messages, but so far it's looking like vB will require about 5-10% of the resources WebBBS needed. Also, I've got all the server-heavy features enabled on vB, whereas I had them mostly disabled with WebBBS (with the exception of frames, but let's not go there )
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

If you want a good laugh..

go to the V6 test board and try to upload an image..

http://awsd.com/webbbs_new/config.pl

(things are going from bad to worse )

Blog Entries
    Quote: Lynne
    go to the V6 test board and try to upload an image..)
    What the..... ?? Now people have to pay to upload an image?

I had a very quick look through the forum and unsurprisingly it reinforced my decision to abandon webbbs, not that I needed any more convincing. Our Race Cafe users have got over the shock of the new format and are absolutely loving it. When I look at the embarrassing circus which is the latest webbbs I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Here are the "stats" that speak for themselves:

Vbulletin.com Threads: 126,613, Posts: 801,520, Members: 67,855

Vbulletin.org Threads: 47,950, Posts: 445,237, Members: 68,307

Vbadvanced.com Threads: 5,576, Posts: 33,942, Members: 10,193

Vbulletintemplates.com Threads: 6,852, Posts: 51,386, Members: 27,249

Compare the above vbulletin support forum messages and member counts to those at http://awsd.com/scripts/forum/webbbs/index.cgi

Messages Posted Within the Last 1 Week 39 of 1,171 Messages Displayed Registered users: 17

And I think you SEE the light. How's that for stats?
    To be fair, the stats for awsd have little to do with the performance of webbbs. The awsd board is dying for reasons other than performance/speed of the awsd board. The low number of messages are because of archiving and the fact that Darryl(or Kevin.. who knows anymore) automatically cycle off any message older than a certain age. Maybe because the awsd site is only so big and just runs as is. I'm sure the vbulletin.com website is much bigger and better supported.

It is pretty apparent that VBulletin is way ahead of Webbbs. I'm not arguing that at all. I was just wondering if there were any real before/after statistics with comparable amount of posting and messages in the database. But I guess there isn't. Once people make the switch, I guess they don't keep the webbbs stats.

If I ever make the switch to a phpbb board, I will keep the stats just to satisfy my own curiousity as to how big the difference is.

Blog Entries
    It appears to be in SELF DESTRUCT mode...
    http://awsd.com/webbbs_new/config.pl...mes;read=70395
    Oh dear. I know John and Kevin's relationship turned sour some time ago but this seems to be an all-out war.

Quote: Lynne
    I was just wondering if there were any real before/after statistics with comparable amount of posting and messages in the database.
    I won't have any "official" stats but within a month I'll be able to make a very reliable comparison. I'm very confident that it will be as stated a couple of messages ago.

I really wish I could say something nice or positive about the way things are going at WebBBS but after having another look through what Kevin's done I'm forced to say that I wouldn't install version 6 if it was the only forum option available. "Incompetence" is a very harsh word but what else can one say? The new version looks like a chocolate teapot to me.

Kevin, in the name of all that is good and holy, get some help.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I just installed the vBAdvanced CMPS system (free unless you want non-branding) on my portal page. It went in fine and replaced vBindex. I'm already hacking at it to insert a couple of random photos from the gallery.

http://www.smokstak.com/

nice portal, Harry! Especially for as much as you have going on on your website.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast