Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    You seem to be doing a good job so far Gina, hope it keeps up.

It's really your call whether you want to set up a new WebBBS installation on the new server or begin again with a new forum script. If it was me I'd go with a new script, but that's probably because I've already lived through the pain and come out the other side .

I'm not sure why the HTTrack pages are trying to get back to the server. I actually tried downloading a small sample of your forum and it seemed to work okay, but I was only trying out basic links. Things like the search function won't work - you'll need a different way to search (but that's not hard and it can come later).

If you want all the old messages to be transferred to the new forum it's going to be a bit complicated. If it doesn't matter that the old messages are archived and new messages begin with a new format, then I think a new forum is definitely the go. I would recommend vBulletin (better but expensive) or phpbb (free).

Whatever you want to do, we will try and help if required. The main thing is to decide which forum you want to start with on the new server. None of them are really much more difficult than any other to set up, and there are plenty of support options available. We can certainly help you get started once we know which route you want to take.

Lynne, thanks for the heads up. I went and read a few threads over "there". As you say, same old same old. The message from Kevin explaining why there has still been no release date but it will be here very soon looks exactly the same as messages from two years ago. And boy, whatever happened between J & K must have been ugly
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

USA - in front of my computer (too much of the time)
    Tarty has an interesting conspiracy theory.. Kind of funny... you would have to read it.

yeah, I've just decided to make whatever decisions I make based on the assumption that there probably won't be a V6 in time to do anyone any good, if ever.

I think you made the right decision for your forum.

Anyway... now that you have been using this for a while, what do you prefer, Perl or PHP? What do you think are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

(and if you want move this post to a new topic, please feel free)

Thanks for the compliment. I'm going by the seat of my dos-loving pants Right now I'm trying to fix a notebook which has the infamous ME on it... trying to install a USB cardbus in it to download photos on my vac'n. That's not going so well.

The links I mentioned were like the graphics that linked back to the original site. I think if I use one of the search/replace programs out there, I could take all those links and convert them to the new ones. Same with the footers on the bottom, and maybe even deleting that "search" box.

I can certainly attempt a new forum script, I'm just nervous because I've never worked with one before. Will I be able to make it act roughly the same?

Question - since the HTTrack pages now link to my c: drive files, what happens when I want to move them to the new place?

Wow, I really appreciate you checking out our forum and messing with it. We are just a bunch of volunteers, about 80 of us really. I like to learn, and I always seem to get myself into these challenging situations

The 'boss' already is prepared to just archive the old messages, so I think I'll just stick with that, though my temptation is to attempt a conversion. But why, if they don't expect it, right? Maybe I can add a link at the bottom of each of the archived ones to reflect to the new forum. I know nothing about WEBbbs except what I've read here So I know some opinions on it. And honestly I know nothing about this stuff, and hope I'm capable of customizing it enough to look like the old one.

I really appreciate your offer of help. I guess I will just have to do some reading here to see what I need to do. I'll definitely be in touch. Thank you so much, once again.

-Gina

Blog Entries
    Sorry about the delayed reply. I've been a bit sidetracked lately while our baby daughter was being born . If you're feeling clucky there's a photo in the Forum Lobby.

Gina, a new forum won't behave exactly the same way but I don't think that will matter. It's like getting a new car - lots of things are different and it might take a while to get used to but in the end it gets you from A to B the same way.

The links should be relative, that is, they only point to your C drive because that's where they live at the moment. When you upload them they should all point to the right places. If not, then a search and replace will be the fix.

If archiving the old pages is acceptable then I think that's the best plan. Start afresh with a new forum and you'll never look back. You won't be able to get it looking exactly the same but I don't think that's as much of a problem as many people make out. When we changed our www.racecafe.co.nz forum to vBulletin lots of people complained at first but quickly got used to it. Now almost all our users prefer the new system.

Lynne, when I wrote my last message I hadn't actually read the threads in the WebBBS v6 development forum. Wow, it's worse than I thought. Poor old Kevin really seems to have dug himself a hole. I can't help wondering if the new version is less developed than he wants people to think. It's hard to imagine any other reason for hiding the code like he is. Personally I would be jumping at the chance to have someone else test my script but he seems to think it's some sort of insult. In any case we're hearing the same tired old line.... "The new version is just round the corner so stop hassling me and let me get on with it". He just doesn't seem to understand how serious the massive delays are, and the fact that people have been waiting or him to get on with it for almost two years. Quite frankly I think he's getting off very lightly with the criticism he's copping.

I see someone has suggested starting a competing script which uses the WebBBS file structure. On the face of it that sounds like a good plan, but I think they would be better off writing a robust conversion script for one of the established forums like vB or phpbb. The whole system of using individual files for messages is completely 20th Century.

BTW, we now have almost 17,000 message at The Race Cafe. With WebBBS our server started choking well before this number. With vBulletin the server load has barely registered. It's handling these messages just as well as when we installed it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Here's a heads up on a modification that gives you the old WebBBS "naughty words" function in vBulletin. It kicks suspect posts into the moderated mode.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76756

Quote: Dave
    Lynne, when I wrote my last message I hadn't actually read the threads in the WebBBS v6 development forum. Wow, it's worse than I thought.
    yes.. it is bad. I think anyone with any forum of any size has left. Which I can't blame them. I don't think V6 (whenever/if it comes out) will take care of these problems.

Poor old Kevin really seems to have dug himself a hole. I can't help wondering if the new version is less developed than he wants people to think. It's hard to imagine any other reason for hiding the code like he is. Personally I would be jumping at the chance to have someone else test my script but he seems to think it's some sort of insult.
    yes, he is quite secretive about it, isn't he? having his coworkers test it "because he works better with them".. i.e., they don't have a webbbs forum themselves, they haven't been waiting for 2 years, and they won't give him any grief. They probably won't notice the things that a person with a running webbbs system will either. It is insulting, imo.

and I think you are right on the target about the reason. I think he had a flurry of activity when he first got it.. then it didn't work. then he didn't work on it for a long time.. and probably put up the test system in a rush to prove that he really had been doing something. But he doesn't want anyone to look too closely, from what I can see. If you give someone the script to test, they can see what you've done.

And it is too bad, because it sounds like Dadi could have given him an idea if any of the performance tweaks that he talked about really have any impact.

He hasn't even removed the inline styling so I could see if I could use different style sheets. And he said he would do that December.

I don't hope for much. But I don't need much either. It would probably take me more time to switch than to tweak it myself. Besides, I like playing with it.

In any case we're hearing the same tired old line.... "The new version is just round the corner so stop hassling me and let me get on with it". He just doesn't seem to understand how serious the massive delays are, and the fact that people have been waiting or him to get on with it for almost two years. Quite frankly I think he's getting off very lightly with the criticism he's copping.
    I think he knew he wouldn't have the time to work on it. He should hav never taken it on. I don't think he really cares about the users, to be honest.

Quote: dave
    I see someone has suggested starting a competing script which uses the WebBBS file structure. On the face of it that sounds like a good plan, but I think they would be better off writing a robust conversion script for one of the established forums like vB or phpbb. The whole system of using individual files for messages is completely 20th Century.
    I agree.
    Quote: dave
    BTW, we now have almost 17,000 message at The Race Cafe. With WebBBS our server started choking well before this number. With vBulletin the server load has barely registered. It's handling these messages just as well as when we installed it.
    well, I bet you are glad you made the move. probably wish you had made it sooner, but like the rest of us, you really believed there was something in the works.

sad.

Quote: Harry
    Here's a heads up on a modification that gives you the old WebBBS "naughty words" function in vBulletin. It kicks suspect posts into the moderated mode.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76756
    hey, Harry... why did you delete all your posts from the webbbs archive? I thought you had some good ideas. I was looking for something I remembered you talking about and realized you zapped all your posts.

I have no desire to have my name there except that if I don't maintain a profile, anyone can use my name to make a post. Once I recreated my profile, I was able to zap that other person's post.

What were you looking for?
    Last edited by Harry; 20th May 2005 at 21:06.

Quote: Harry
    I have no desire to have my name there except that if I don't maintain a profile, anyone can use my name to make a post. Once I recreated my profile, I was able to zap that other person's post.

What were you looking for?
    I was having a spam problem with my exercise forum. I remember that you had a lot to say about that, and were quite well versed on recognizing it, killing it, etc. Spam- the kudzu of the internet.

I ended up putting Kevin's enhancement, "Is it from my site?" in and that seems to have done a good job of keeping it off.
    Last edited by Lynne; 20th May 2005 at 22:15.

The only way to stop spam on a webbbs board is to set $CensorPosts = 2; and maintain a lively naughty words file. These are cause for an immediate trip into the moderated mode.

looking for distributor
    visit our website
    visit our web site
    websites
    promotional
    marketing
    campaign
    thousands
    advertising my service
    Authentic Timepieces
    BUSINESS PROPOSAL
    earn money
    easy steps to success
    GET OUT OF DEBT
    home workers
    I am quitting my work
    MAKE QUICK CASH
    make money easily
    making big bucks
    make money easy
    make lots of cash
    money back guarantee
    Marketing Staff
    Powerful Sales Campaign
    profitable venture

You get the idea, not to mention the truly naughty words. I will be surprised if this post gets through on Dave's board! As you can imagine, I missed this on vBulletin and so my modification mentioned above.

The other approach (if you manage your own server) is to use iptables as a firewall and dump their IP range completely. Of course you need to be careful with this or lose your regular customers.