Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    USA - in front of my computer (too much of the time)
    Thanks, Harry. I will refer to this if I start having a problem again. I really don't want to put in anything I don't have to (until forced) because sometimes you end up blocking the regulars. But it is nice to have some arsenal in your hip pocket when the time comes.

Blog Entries

The Race Cafe

Thought I'd let you guys know we've decided to discontinue our work with The Race Cafe. It's been a lot of fun but the time has come to let it go and concentrate on bigger and better things. We've offered it for sale, more for the sake of the people who use it than any need to make a profit. Of course it is a very nice little business if someone wants to take it on - I think they might be a bit scared though . If it doesn't sell we'll close it down in a couple of months.

In case you're wondering, I have no regrets about moving to vB on The Race Cafe. We had to do it or we would have closed the site down at the start of the year. And it was a great learning experience - I've got to know vB much better than if I had only installed it in our other forum sites. Actually, if it wasn't for The Race Cafe I would probably have stuck with phpbb which would have been a mistake.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Quote: Lynne
    now that you have been using this for a while, what do you prefer, Perl or PHP? What do you think are the advantages/disadvantages of each?
    I'll put this in a new thread.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: Dave
    Thought I'd let you guys know we've decided to discontinue our work with The Race Cafe. It's been a lot of fun but the time has come to let it go and concentrate on bigger and better things. We've offered it for sale, more for the sake of the people who use it than any need to make a profit. Of course it is a very nice litle business if someone wants to take it on - I think they might be a bit scared though . If it doesn't sell we'll close it down in a couple of months.

In case you're wondering, I have no regrets about moving to vB on The Race Cafe. We had to do it or we would have closed the site down at the start of the year. And it was a great learning experience - I've got to know vB much better than if I had only installed it in our other forum sites. Actually, if it wasn't for The Race Cafe I would probably have stuck with phpbb which would have been a mistake.
    Wow, Dave!! Big change for you!

So, what are the bigger and better things that you are moving to (if you don't mind saying)?

Blog Entries
    The first thing is this site - mediacollege.com. We're getting awesome traffic now (much more than The Race Cafe) and it's making a nice income. Although the forum here is very low-key we like it that way. Much less stressful . Most of the traffic at this site consists of people who do a search, go directly to the page they need, read it, maybe click an ad, then leave. The perfect customer

This site has also opened a lot of doors for us. We're getting regular offers of really cool jobs and we now have the luxury of deciding which ones we want to do.

Frankly, the idea of mediating the petty bickering that regularly characterises The Race Cafe is not much of an alternative to the fun we're having here.

We do want to spend some time working on websites like www.teawamutu.co.nz (our home town), www.dave.co.nz (my site - I want to do more space stuff), www.contractbridge.net (a project I'm doing with my father) and www.paranormal-phenomena.info (in its infancy). There are other projects as well but I can't talk about them.

And of course there's Jessica - we want to be able to devote enough time to her.

It's going to be so nice not worrying about The Race Cafe. It's been a great experience but it's definitely time to move on.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

The first thing is this site - mediacollege.com. We're getting awesome traffic now (much more than The Race Cafe) and it's making a nice income.
    Do I take it from this that Google Adsense is a good thing to get into?

Blog Entries
    Hi Harry, I answered in a new thread since it might be interesting to other people: "Is Adsense a good money-maker?"
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I've seen the first season of Enterprise but network TV hasn't shown any more here. Very frustrating! I may have to wait until it comes out on DVD

Sorry for mis-spelling your alter-ego.

BTW, your owendot.com forum is looking great. But what's that www.schulerlab.com site in your profile here? It gives me a "timed out" error.
    can you see my website now? Just wondering...

Archives Page Start

Lynne: Did this mod ever get published?

================================

These fixes/mods are:
    • display an archive/forum from the date of the first post, not from today's date. Here is a link to one of the AV archives at the end of this post so you can see for yourself. The archive starts Feb/2004, and displays from that date on the first page. Tarty added the display of the forum range to this mod, so you can see the date range of the forum. A very nice touch which I will implement later.

• return to the index fix: in the current version of webbbs, if you read a post from pages 2 - x of your forum, when you click on "RETURN TO INDEX", it will always return you to page 1 of the index, not the page of the post that you just read. This mod fixes it so you return to the correct pagination page of the index which contains the post you just read.

• make the preferences forced for spiders a configurable option. Right now it is Compressed, 10 years. this may not be the best thing for all archives/forums. I feel this should be a configuration variable that can be tweaked by the forum owner.

Quote: Harry
    Lynne: Did this mod ever get published?

================================

These fixes/mods are:
    • display an archive/forum from the date of the first post, not from today's date. Here is a link to one of the AV archives at the end of this post so you can see for yourself. The archive starts Feb/2004, and displays from that date on the first page. Tarty added the display of the forum range to this mod, so you can see the date range of the forum. A very nice touch which I will implement later.

• return to the index fix: in the current version of webbbs, if you read a post from pages 2 - x of your forum, when you click on "RETURN TO INDEX", it will always return you to page 1 of the index, not the page of the post that you just read. This mod fixes it so you return to the correct pagination page of the index which contains the post you just read.

• make the preferences forced for spiders a configurable option. Right now it is Compressed, 10 years. this may not be the best thing for all archives/forums. I feel this should be a configuration variable that can be tweaked by the forum owner.
    No, of course not!!! I'm sure they are all going to be in V6 I'll probably be too old to care by then, though.

I have them in my forums (since I did the mods to fix these problems in my forum), and Tarty put the first 2 in his fully modded version. Tarty would probably put the 3rd one in, only I forgot about it.

Thanks for reminding me. I've given up on V6. I just finished fixing some things and sent Tarty my ghost frames mod and 2 window viewing mod, along with some other minor fixes. I was going to work on a theme for the spiders (so they just follow what I want them to follow ) So, I will make sure to spiff this up a little too, while I'm at it.

Thank god for Tarty's fully modded version - for my little forum. Wouldn't be enough for your traffic. Actually, I think the only people left are low traffic forums or people that do their own modding (and want to bother with it). But Tarty did a lot to make webbbs more user friendly.

I think this is it for me. My little forums will run for quite a while on what I've got.

Dadi found some nice forum software, free, standards compliant. mwforum. If I were to get the urge to try something new, I think I would try that.