Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Jason (veteran)

you are welcome

Quote: Dave
    Thanks for that Jason. Good point and nice link

Happy New Year to you too.
    U r Welcome. I haven't tried out all the demos on all browsers yet, but, it looks promising.

J

USA - in front of my computer (too much of the time)
    Quote: Jason (veteran)
    Noticed your post and thought I would drop this in. I only recently discovered CSS frames...never knew it could be done and be so compatible.

I agree with your linked page with the pros and cons of using frames. using CSS tends to get round that I think.

http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/layouts/index.html

(click on thelink to the "holy grail - frames using css")

Happy new year guys!

Jason
    hmm... nothing happens for me.

what is it supposed to do?

Don't know how I missed this...

sorry for not responding... didn't realize you had posted this...

will read now..

Blog Entries
    Hope you don't mind Lynne, I moved your reply to a new thread. I'm aware that this thread is going to reach it's message limit at some stage, and anyway, the frames argument might be of interest to others as well. Plus I wanted to try the "split thread" feature

BTW, I'm getting closer to migrating The Race Cafe to vB. I'm currently writing a script to convert my custom database to a vB database, then hopefully I'll have some testing happening next week.

How are things going with WebBBS 6 development? I've managed to pry myself loose from the awsd forum altogether so I don't know what's happening there any more.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hope you don't mind Lynne, I moved your reply to a new thread. I'm aware that this thread is going to reach it's message limit at some stage, and anyway, the frames argument might be of interest to others as well. Plus I wanted to try the "split thread" feature

BTW, I'm getting closer to migrating The Race Cafe to vB. I'm currently writing a script to convert my custom database to a vB database, then hopefully I'll have some testing happening next week.
    Let me know when you get the Race Cafe converted.. I would like to see it.

How are things going with WebBBS 6 development? I've managed to pry myself loose from the awsd forum altogether so I don't know what's happening there any more.
    as far as webbbs development... I don't know, really. kind of quiet lately.

when I first looked at it, I was looking for Tarty's mods, and most of them weren't there, which surprised me. When I asked... well, you can read the test forum. Anyway, Kevin put a lot of the mods in, and then there were profile problems and other problems.. and Kevin was going to post something about where they are.. and haven't heard anything.

so.. does that sum it up?

I've been busy with snow here and other things; but I just read on Tarty's board that he has had a lot of requests lately for his fully modded version. I am not surprised. It is more stable.

Anyway... think you made the right decision, Dave.

Quote: Lynne
    as far as webbbs development... I don't know, really. kind of quiet lately.
    It looks like a cruel sick joke to me. I'm sure glad I'm out.

I'm currently looking forward to the RC3 release of vBAdvanced Gallery and version 3.10 of vBulletin. vBChat 1.1.1 is hanging in there, but I'm not sure if development continues. (Another case of one-man-band software that you cannot depend upon.) My users seem to have accepted the fact that they are on vBulletin and I'm over 1,400 of them now. Life goes on.

In any case, I don't think parameters in URLs are the real problem. I'd say your main problem is lack of inbound links. www.owendot.com only has a PR ranking of 2 and the only backlinks Google shows are from your own sites. Get a few more links and you might do better.

Anyway, I'd better get back to work. Lots to do!
    hmm... I thought maybe this was the case, but I just noticed that my site, www.schulerlab.com, which I think is linked to by less people than owendot.. is completely indexed by google. and I don't even have my forums defined as search friendly...

so.. I will have to take another look.

Blog Entries

The Race Cafe

Well, I've finally done it. It's been a monster job but the Race Cafe's migration to vB is almost complete.

I didn't try to import messages - there was no practical way to do it with the mods I'd made. I was however able to import my custom user database which seems to have gone quite well. Only about a dozen complaints so far which is much better than we'd hoped. On the whole the response has been very good.

A lot of the features/links are reserved for logged-in users so you won't see the whole picture, but you can get the general idea.

http://www.racecafe.co.nz
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Looks real nice, Dave! You've done a nice job.. people seem to like it and not have much trouble adjusting.

Certainly is fast!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Lynne. The response has generally been better than we'd thought it would be. A few people have got a bit upset but even the naysayers have accepted it.

Actually, it probably helps that WebBBS kept crashing our server! We explained that we had to change software to stop this from happening so we had a good reason to justify the change.

On that topic, our server load has eased dramatically. If you're familiar with *nix server loads, it's not supposed to go above 1 for any length of time and if you're staying around 5+ you're in trouble. WebBBS was sending our load to an incredible 10 to 17!!! In all my years I've never seen a linux server try to cope with a load like that for hours at a time. It was constantly crashing, and even when it was going it was terribly slow. Since changing to vB the server load hasn't reached 2 and spends much of its time on around 0.5. I'm absolutely ecstatic.

I don't know what's been happening over at WebBBS but I really hope Kevin takes this issue seriously very soon. Quite frankly WebBBS is a danger to servers unless it has restrictions placed on the account.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast