Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    USA - in front of my computer (too much of the time)
    Jason, I like very much what you did with the frames, although I like the text a bit bigger... but I can just adjust my view for that. I guess small text is in vogue these days.

I agree with Rainer about frames. They are quite underrated as a way to display information. I guess part of reason for the lack of popularity is the problems search engines had with frames. You would think that a search engine would be smart enough to figure it out, but I guess not. Hopefully, the problems with search engines will improve in the future. I think, though, that xhtml strict will not support the frame elements. a shame, imo. But then, I have yet to see a forum use strict xhtml.

actually, I have yet to see a forum that passes validation for transition html.

Jason, I couldn't see where I could adjust any preferences, though. Does the user have any control over the display? Like how many threads/or time range they want to see on a page? or anything like that?
    Last edited by Lynne; 21st Dec 2004 at 04:45.

Jason (veteran)

Oops..

Quote: Lynne
    Jason, I like very much what you did with the frames, although I like the text a bit bigger... but I can just adjust my view for that. I guess small text is in vogue these days.
    If you're referring to the ninja tunes site...I agree with you re: small text, but, I didnt have anything to do with the setup of that. Sorry if I gave that impression. I intended it as an example of what I'm aspiring to do with drupal and the new site. I would also tend to sway towards bigger text as well.

You have a good point about frames used more friendly. I like the huge reduction in server load, especially for busy boards.

Jason

Quote: Harry
    I see this thread grows on as does the crazy insane stuff on awsd.

Here's my latest adventure: http://www.smokstak.com/gallery/

I have a lot more to do in the aesthetics department and to decide how to let users create directories, but this is a start.

-- Harry
    I like your Christmas Decorations, Harry!

I also like the way you have the most recent threads on your smokstak home page. That way, people can see immediately what is going on in the community. That is exactly what I would do if I set up this type of board (phpbb/ubb/vbulletin/whatever)

Blog Entries
    Jason, thanks for all the info and your thoughts. It's been quite therapeutic hearing from all these other frustrated webbbs users

I can understand why you'd get Kevin and Darryl confused. They both have similar demeanours and can both be very abrasive. It was initially a surprise to me to find two people who were both so cold towards those people who were supporting them. I don't think Darryl really meant to be so rude, it was just the way he often came across. I once tried to delicately point this out to him and he slammed me for it In my more charitable moods I sometimes think Kevin is the same (ie doesn't mean to be as rude as he comes across).

Lynne, on the frames thing, I'd quickly like to disagree I used frames on a number of sites but I've since removed all of them. Even at The Race Cafe, where it was a real hassle to remove them and incurred a much bigger server load, the problems associated with frames were getting too much. I don't have time today to get into this discussion any further but I seriously doubt whether I would ever use frames again.

Harry, I tried to look at your gallery but I lost my password. I'l dig it out again and have a look when I get a chance.

And I see Kevin has released an alpha v6 board. Good on him. Despite what he says about this being a coincidence I'm sure this is a response to recent events. IMO Kevin would have gained some respect if he'd said "OK, you people are right, I'll release a preview version so you can help me test it and fine-tune it". Instead he clings to his story that he alone knows what's right and he alone has the ability to call the shots.

Anyway, it's good to see and I hope it goes well.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: Dave
    IMO Kevin would have gained some respect if he'd said "OK, you people are right, I'll release a preview version so you can help me test it and fine-tune it". Instead he clings to his story that he alone knows what's right and he alone has the ability to call the shots.
    I took one look at his new board version, but here is one web person that won't be bothered to go any further. So, chalk up one debugging location with lots of data to test it with.

Somehow I don't think WebBBS is up to 85,000 posts all in one database. And incidently, it's great to be able to move posts from one board to another, split threads AND merge threads, not to mention stick and close them too!

Lynne, I don't remember if I mentioned it or not, but I have grown to like linear threads! I have hybrid or threaded mode available to my users, but I found linear - oldest first - to work just fine for me. If you go with PhpBB, threads might be a major hack that may not be worth the trouble.

Quote: Harry
    I took one look at his new board version, but here is one web person that won't be bothered to go any further. So, chalk up one debugging location with lots of data to test it with.

Somehow I don't think WebBBS is up to 85,000 posts all in one database. And incidently, it's great to be able to move posts from one board to another, split threads AND merge threads, not to mention stick and close them too!

Lynne, I don't remember if I mentioned it or not, but I have grown to like linear threads! I have hybrid or threaded mode available to my users, but I found linear - oldest first - to work just fine for me. If you go with PhpBB, threads might be a major hack that may not be worth the trouble.
    Actually, I only took a quick look this afternoon... plan to look at more tonight. so.. no comment at the moment. Just glad he finally put up something.

Harry, I like both ... linear and threaded. But I am ok with just the linear. Like here. As long as you have the quote function, it is fine.

Personally, I think part of the reason people prefer linear threads with the phpbb and these type boards is because the thread function was added on later - looks like quickly as a concession, and in my opinion, they did not do a very good job as far as being a user friendly option. When I first looked at it, I can remember thinking that there would have been much better ways of doing this.

plus, if only half the people use the post reply to a certain post function, then the whole thread starts losing its meaning anyway. If I were to do this, then I would probably take away the "Post Reply" on top, or make it "add your comments to this topic", or something like that... there are a lot of things you could do; then I would put the post reply/quote for every post.

But, you do get used to the linear mode (like here). It's not bad; has it's good points.

Quote: Dave
    Lynne, on the frames thing, I'd quickly like to disagree I used frames on a number of sites but I've since removed all of them. Even at The Race Cafe, where it was a real hassle to remove them and incurred a much bigger server load, the problems associated with frames were getting too much. I don't have time today to get into this discussion any further but I seriously doubt whether I would ever use frames again.
    Well, if you ever have the time or inclination, I would like to hear thoughts on the subject.. negative or not...

Just a curious tiger...

Blog Entries
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Jason (veteran)

don't forget about CSS frames!

Noticed your post and thought I would drop this in. I only recently discovered CSS frames...never knew it could be done and be so compatible.

I agree with your linked page with the pros and cons of using frames. using CSS tends to get round that I think.

http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/layouts/index.html

(click on thelink to the "holy grail - frames using css")

Happy new year guys!

Jason

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that Jason. Good point and nice link

Happy New Year to you too.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast