Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Site Design

Blog Entries

New Site Design

I've changed the forum layout to a slightly new design. The only real differences are the header and the page width. The page width is now fluid to be more compatible with different screen sizes. Hopefully this will make forum messages easier to read, and I'm hoping to get a few other benefits as well.

I'll be rolling out this design throughout the whole website over the next few days. I'd really appreciate any comments - the design isn't necessarily final. The main thing for me has been re-writing the underlying code to make it more robust and flexible.

If all goes well, I'm quite excited about how this new design is going to work. Although it's not visually much different, it's a vast improvement under the hood. At least I think so - let me know if you encounter any problems.

Note: If you're unlucky enough to be stuck with Internet Explorer 6 or earlier, you won't be seeing it as intended. Sorry about that.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave,

I am not too sure what you did about the page with, but it is the same on my computer. (I am using Mac OS Leopard and Safari) I do however like the new look of the top.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

The forum width still doesn't fill my screen. Maybe about 2/3 of it. I'm running 1680x1050 if it matters
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. The width is set to a maximum of 1000 pixels by default as that's what I need for the rest of the site. However I've enabled a style chooser so you can set the forum to be the maximum width of your browser if you so desire.

Near the bottom of the page on the left, look for a drop-menu with "Fluid 1000" set by default. Choose "Fluid Max" and see how it looks. Your preference will be remembered so you'll need to change it back if you don't like it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

it works good
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Thanks for making the changes Dave, works real good on the platforms I work with.

btw Kaw, how're you enjoying Leopard? Some of my friends are complaining it 'creates' more lag than Tiger. I noticed for their systems. How about you?
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Apologies but while we're on the topic of the website and programming, just like to share that I have a lot of difficulties logging in sometimes, when I am available to post/reply. Haven't note where and on which system this happens though. I don't know if there're others who face this, and if it's uniquely 'my problem', then take this as a a FYI. I can live with that.

Thanks!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Blog Entries
    Thanks. Sorry to hear you've been having trouble nagar, I haven't had that complaint before. What exactly happens when things go wrong?

BTW I've been having some trouble with Leopard. I ran Tiger for a short while and it was great. Leopard is certainly nice when it's working but it's crashing about once a day. I haven't documented it yet but it seems to happen mostly when I've got a terminal and/or Safari open. Just tonight I downloaded the new version 10.5.1 so hopefully that will help. A few people over at discussions.apple.com are hoping so too.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I like what your doing with the site Dave. Looks good.

I know its just an illusion but when the forum page runs the width of the monitor it gives an impression of more info. Well it does to me
    Top header looks good too.

I've just got a new lcd monitor set at 1280x1024 and its only filling this one 2/3rds of the way across too?.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

I got several different screen sizes and it appears to work well on all of them. I run whatever the latest Explorer is. I like the header, too.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast