Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    If it's on DVD, it's digital. There is no such thing as analogue DVD - it's a digital-only format. However DVD is not a good format to use for converting to other formats. DVD is sort of a "finished product" - once you've made your DVD it's difficult to do anything else with it. This is because of copyright issues - the producers of DVDs do not want people being able to convert and copy them. Although it is possible, it's not the recommended way to do it.

This is assuming that your DVDs are made in the standard DVD format, not just DVD data disks with video files in some other format.

The reason I asked about your editing software is that you can use it to encode video into formats like Windows Media, Quicktime, etc. This is by far the simplest method.

There are many ways to do encode streaming video - it would help to know exactly what you're working with. For example, how do you get the video from tape to DVD? If the tape is analogue, you must be using some sort of capture device. What format are you capturing it as? If someone else does all this without your involvement, can you ask them to supply the video in a streaming format as well as DVD? It should be very easy for them to do this.

One other thing - have you read our streaming media tutorial? If not, it might help:
    http://www.mediacollege.com/video/st.../overview.html
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

checking back in

Thank you so much for getting back with me. Here is what I know.
    We edit the TV story onto 1/2 beta tape (professional). We are then burning it to DVD. Reading me DVD menu...could it be vob format?

What format should I ask them to burn the DVD in when they make me the DVD copy from the 1/2 beta tape?
    Thanks...waiting..

Blog Entries
    Right.... we're getting there. vob is the standard DVD format, so that's what we expected. Unfortunately vob isn't much use for you, so I would ask your people if they can supply the video in either MGEG-2 or MPEG-4 as well.

Actually the best format would be an uncompressed format such as AVI, but the files sizes will be so large that you will have trouble managing them.

Once you have the files as MPEG you could theoretically put them straight on your website. However you will probably want to encode (convert) them into WinMedia and/or Quicktime. Windows Media Encoder can encode MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 but I believe there may be some issues - you might have to do some testing first.

If you can afford to spend some money you can buy a more specialized encoder which will probably do a better job. If you already have an editing package such as Adobe Premiere you can encode directly from that.

Actually, how do you edit? Do you use non-linear editing?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

back again

Hi again,

Sorry I keep disappearing, but I have kids to feed, homework to check on. You know the drill.

Anyway, we do not edit on non-linear. We just use the regular lineal machines...old style editing. They have an avid bay with non linear editing, but for what we do, we stick with their regular editing bays. But you have given me some good information regarding what to ask them to do when they make me a DVD. If they can give it to me in AVI, then I should convert that into what so that they web server will take my video for the streaming video. I know they say windows media or quick time. I understand that windows media might be the better way to go. What is that ...wmv or wma or what?
    And what should I use to go from AVI to that?
    Thanks so much for your help on this. I have gone to many locals "experts" and just can't seem to get anywhere. Tonight I purchased a Burn and Go and am trying that. We shall see.
    You are wonderful, Dave

oops

I forgot,

How do I go from the Mpeg they supply to what I need?

Guilherme

Live

I dont have a video file, because im capturing from TV. I want to do a live transmission from this.
    Ex: My father doest have CNN. Im capturing CNN and, in real time, he connects on my PC and see CNN.

Thanks
    Guilherme

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12