cato

from mixer to computer

I have a Yamaha MG 16/4 mixer.I was wondering if i could get some help here.I have Sonar Home Studio 6 as my DAW.I am trying to figure out how to get each drum as its own track when recording.I dont want to buy an expensive interface at this point.I have a M-Audio 10/10delta sound card 10 in 10 out..My question is this......I have XLR inputs from drum mic's to mixer,above my XLR's on the mixer is TRS I/O.Can i go from these to each input on the delta and get each channel seperate?Sonar is capable of multiple inputs.

Hi, I really dont know if you can do that. I have a mg 23 mixer, if you can tell me which channels you are using I may be able to help.

cato
    i am using channels 1 thru 9 for drums

The TRS I/O's you refer to on the Yamaha are not balanced outputs. They are inserts. When you plug in a TRS cable the signal chain is broken. Tip to sleeve diverts the signal to other outboard prossesing gear and ring to sleeve brings it back in, where it continues on (it could be ring out, tip in, I don't remember right now). It's basically an effects loop with Send and Recieve on the same plug.

Q. If you have 8 balanced inputs on the 1010, why do you need the Yamaha? (you did mean the 1010 and not the 1010LT, which only has 2 balanced inputs, right)?
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

cato
    Thanks for the input here.I have the 10/10 LT.I know i can use that for all my inputs for the drums to my DAW.I guess i could always stack two LT's for more inputs and not use the Yamaha MG mixer at all.