Sony 40GB High Definition Hard Disk Drive

Greetings to all,
    This will be my first post so be patent with me. This looks like a great site, and the posts seem to offer some good advice. Iím fairly new to the video world, I have been using a Sony DCR-HC30 for the past 3 years to record my fishing adventures, capture with Ulead 7 Ė 8 and now 9, to produce some pretty good DVDs. Hereís what I planning for the New Year, purchase, a Sony 40GB High Definition Hard Disk Drive Camcorder (HDRSR5), maybe upgrade my computer, and have a look at new software. SO any recommendations on this camera would be appreciated and what would be some good software to look at the get good results with HD.

What computer are you running (Mac or PC?) and what is your budget? those are 2 very important questions to ask. Also how much video are you shooting at a time (Hrs) because the 40GB HD may not be big enough for you, however it may be. I am using HDs for my JVC cams, they also duel record on a tape for back up. The HDs that i have are 200GB. Hope this helps some
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Good points,, Iím running a PC with 2 hard drives (80 and 300). Iím normally shooting about 50 to 60 min of footage per trip. I was thinking I could transfer this raw footage to a DVD as a means of back up from the camera hard drive and that way keep the camera fairly clear. Iím not going to say I have an unlimited budget but my next PC will primarily be used for video editing so I intend Duel core, 2 GB Ram, 2 x 300 / 500 GB hard drives, and perhaps a HD DVD burner. Any other back ups out there?

There is another backup device known as BRD(Blue Ray Disk) is in the market but dont know whether it could be burn at home or not. You can check this on internet, BRD is having larger memory capacity than DVD, It can store approximately 35 GB and abov dat on it. It is also thin Just like DVD.

Devils has a point you may want to look into Blue Ray or HDDVD if you are thinking of storing HD footage. Not too much footage will fit on a DVD if it is still in HD. only like 16 min i think (I have never tried) I personally charge clients as part of their production charge for a external hard drive big enough to store all their footage on, that way it is on the shelf if i ever need it. And for my personal I have 3 2TB (terabyte) drives.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!