Your advice please

I work in a high school as a technician in the performing arts dept. Basically the dance department are fed up with carrying around huge cases of CD's and want a solution to cut down on their luggage.

The first and obvious solution is a couple of MP3 players to plug in to the dance studios sound system, but I was thinking that seeing as they also show video to the students too some sort of multimedia player would be the way to go.

So I jumped right in and suggested a shiney new ipod video. Of course I have since looked at the archos 404 as well but the extras you need to buy on top make it a pain (Mpeg encoders and a power supply to name but 2!!)

So any other suggestions before I go off and but the ipods?

Oh yes, maybe some wifi connectivity between the units and a base station reciever plugged into the studio amp would be nice.

I could spend all day at work surfing the web looking for a solution and it'd be a nice break.

Just thought I'd pick your collective brains first.

Well I was going to suggest a vid/soundmixer, but that would not be vary lite. If I were you, I would go with the audio/vidio ipod. Sounds like the best thing to go with.

MP4 Music/video players are also very good and these can also store large amount of data.These are also cheap in term of cost than the ipod. Mp4 players could be an option for you.

I have the Archos Gmini 402cc and love it, but it isn't a replacement for a proper video source (tape or disc) as it can't reach the resolution (although the video output may be able to, I'd have to check, never really tried), the same goes for most any personal media player. Do note that portable PVRs (Personal Video Recorder, like a DVR but smaller) are available and may be useful. For audio, I go with an old notebook running Windows 2000 and some simple DJ software. Of what I tested, I think SAM Broadcaster may be the best for what you describe, although things like foobar2000 or some linux-based software may be useful as well.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Just to let you all know, I wimped out and bought a couple of ipods for the teachers and will store all the video on a spare PC running iTunes hooked into the network which will be able to share it's iTunes library with all the other copies of iTunes I'm discreetly installing around the site

Not the most elegant solution but the quickest and easiest

I would like to warn you about the sound quality of an mp3. it is a compressed version of the song, and therefore does not sound as crisp. That being said, most people will not be able to tell, but for those of us that do, it drives us Crazy
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Of course I'm aware of that. It drives me crazy too. But in this instance it's only for the students to rehearse with in the dance studio.

Once the shows go up I use uncompressed versions of the tracks through a very large PA that vibrates the ribs