Audio setup for show in an auditorium

Hello All,

Sometime next year I'm going to video a local bodybuilding show. I have a question in regards to audio setup. I will need to record audio from the MC as well as music in an auditorium. Will ONE omni-microphone work in this regard or do I need two mics: One for the MC and another for the DJ?

What equipment do you have, ie cams, mics, mixer, etc? Find out if you can get a feed from the FOH. Set this up in advance with the sound guy. You will get much better audio this way rather than trying to capture what's coming out of the speakers or burdening the MC with another mic.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Strangely enough I've done something very similar this week

I ended up taking a stereo feed from the FOH desk as suggested above and placed 2 mics at the back of the hall (panned hard left and right) to pick up some ambience from the live event (if that's what you want).

I monitored the levels on a small mixer and recorded straight to stereo live.

A little bit of EQ in post and the results were quite pleasing.

Quote: penniesfromheaven
    View Post
    What equipment do you have, ie cams, mics, mixer, etc? Find out if you can get a feed from the FOH. Set this up in advance with the sound guy. You will get much better audio this way rather than trying to capture what's coming out of the speakers or burdening the MC with another mic.
    I'm starting small. I will use the Sony DSR-PD150 DVCAM. I also have two omni-directional mics. Now do I need a mixer? That would depend on if I need multiple microphones. Thats where I'm stuck on would I need two for the M.C. and one for the music coming from the DJ?

BTW what is FOH? Newbie here.

Hey, Nige, glad to hear it. Good job with the ambient mics.

Flabber, OK, FOH is Front Of House, and that's the mixing position for the PA system. (It's actually at the back of the house, usually). In your case the DJ may be controling it from his location. But whomever is controling it, that is where you would get a direct feed. Consider how Nige described his set-up.

Since your cam has xlr inputs, connecting to an FOH auxillary output is a cinch. You will get the music, DJ, and MC all in one. If you want the ambience of the applause from the audience, you would need a small mixer and a pair of mics like Nige. You can pick up a small 4 input mixer for under $100.

Now, one thing that occurs to me. If you will be roaming around while filming the feed would have to be wireless. If that's your case let me know, because there are certain problems there. Cool?
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'