Video Streaming Very Slow, Keeps Stopping

Hi, I'm a newbie so I'm sorry if this question has been addressed before. I tried to find the answer to this Video Streaming question in the forum but can't seem to find the answer so I'm posting it here.
    I want to stream a Video clip that is 10 min long using windows media. I followed directions I found at an educational website using Windows Media Encoder. I converted a MPEG file to a WMV file had my web guy embed it on our website so it would stream the video file. It is HTTP streaming, we do not have video streaming server.
    The problem is that it runs for a few seconds than stops and buffers, runs a few seconds, stops and buffers, etc.
    My web guy said the problem is that the video file is too big so it takes too long to load and buffer. The WMV file is about 70MB.
    However, I read a post by Dave that said the issue is more of the video bit rate.

Is there an ideal setting to use when creating a WMV file that will allow it to play on most high speed ISP's? The settings I used were 29.97FPS, 695k video bit rate, 16kps, 16khz stereo, so the total data rate ends up being 740k. I read that this would stream fine on a ISP that has 1.5Mps speed. I have a 1.5Mps ISP but the video stops every few seconds.

A side note is that one of my customers has this same exact video streaming on his website and it works fine on my computer. I am not sure what settings he used because of course his website person doesn't really want to tell us. This is the video on his website: http://staysharpshears.com/video.htm

Any help with this would be so appreciated!!
    Thank you!!
    Garin

Here is an update regarding the issue I am having try to create a Windows Media file for HTTP streaming.
    I talk to another video person and he basically said that the data rate is the key for being able to stream the video not the file size.
    Now here is something that has me and a few others confused. A customer of mine has the exact same DVD that we do, in fact he got the DVD from us. His web person converted it to a WMV file and used a video rate of 496k. It plays really nice and clear on my computer and my friends computer. I have an ISP download speed of 1300k and he has about 600k.
    I created a WMV file using a data rate of 340k and it plays fine on my computer but keeps stopping to rebuffer on my friends computer that has an ISP speed of 600k. We can't understand why.

Why would a video file that has data rate of 496k play fine on someone's computer but a data rate of 340k will not? Is there some special setting that that is making a difference? I am using the same resolution and audio bit rate. I just can't configure this out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Oh, and he is using a server that is similiar to mine also.

Hi

on ur site i don't found video

U must know, if you'r on xdsl for your net connection, the speed is only an information, not the reality, try with a speedtest website for know your real speed

speeds are based on speed test, not isp

Hello Cgiles,
    You don't get a video when you click this: http://staysharpshears.com/video.htm

Hmm, that's odd, it works for me and my friends.

Regarding the download speeds, those are speeds that are from tests doing speed tests at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/. It is not speeds based on what the ISP quotes. I know that means nothing.

I had another thought, could it be the traffic on the server of the Host we are using? Do speeds vary alot depending on what host you use? I am using a basic Host plan at POWWEB.com.

thank you for any input,
    Garin

I think 740 is way too high. I stream a lot of archive. The higher the bit rate the more people you eliminate from watching. Keep it as low as possible unless you are sure they all can take 740k. I stay under 360k and lower than that when I need to webcast live to 1,000 or more concurrent viewers. You could also multi-bitrate encode the file for more viewer choices.