Thread: streaming flash

streaming flash

How do I get my flash file to play before the file is completely downloaded to a veiwers computer? Help

Blog Entries
    It should do that by default. Can you post the URL?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

url

http://www.bhhsclubs.com/BHHS_NOV14.htm
    Thanks,
    This is divening me nuts, I thought I did everything right.

Blog Entries
    It looks like you've got your video embedded in the SWF timeline - is that right? If so, you really need to use a separate FLV file for the video. The SWF should be the container (player) for the FLV file.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

streaming video

I think you lost me, is their a site that has the code I need to paste in my webpage. Or is their a site that explains it.
    I appreciate any assistance you may render at this time.
    I have tried my different html scripts and nothing seems to play the video as soon as the page loads. I am at a lost!
    Thanks,
    Mike

Use a player

You can do this with either swf of flv.

What you need is a player to embed your video that supports the format you choose.

Then to get it to play before the video is fully downloaded you would need to be able to tell the player the amount of time you want it to buffer.

So for example if you were using something like Flix from On2.com you would use the players they provide with the software and embed your swf or flv video with it and you would set the buffer time to how long you want it.

Buffer time refers to the amount of time a video downloads before the player starts to play.

Personally I publish my videos as an flv file and embed them with swf players from the FLV producer software.

That software is really simple to use and allows me to set the amount of seconds my players buffer before my video starts to play.

There are lots of free players out there but most of them are designed to play flv video files now... a few still support swf video files (swf was the traditional flash format until flv came out).

Some great free/opensource players are:

www.flowplayer.org

http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Player

Also the flv producer software has a shareware/free demo version with limited features that allows you to use it to embed videos which you can set the buffer time on it:

Because I am new here and do not want to link directly to the exe I will post a link to an old post I made on a forum I was pretty active on that I made for people to grab it a couple years ago:

http://www.howtocorp.com/cgi-bin/web...mes/read/53928