Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

question about prefader on mixer

Something caught my eye, or really my fingers, but you get the point. Any way, I work with a 24 channel board because I run tv audio as well as audio in the services at my church. Now on the board I work on for tv, I see the eq, and on top of that i have prefades 1, 2, and 3, and then the gain. What are the prefades for?

I do the same thing at my own church. Interesting, huh? Are you sure they are not aux bus faders (knobs)? What model board is it? That would be quicker for me to look it up. Then I can tell ya in a heart beat what to do with them.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Hi, well, not sure what kind of board it is, but the knobs say pre 1 2, and 3.

FIND OUT WHAT BOARD IT IS!!! Cool?
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Yeh, I am sorry for not having the info on me right now, allthoe it could be a Pivy or Pivi or what ever it is. I could be wrong thoe. Did you ever get skype working btw?

It sounds like their Prefade Auxilery Sends. Somewhere (normally on the right of a small board) there will be the Auxilery Masters and then somewhere near the Master output will be the Auxilery outputs.

Can't be totally sure unless you give us the make and model of the board.

The prefade means that the Aux Sends are taken before the slider. Which means that adjusting the slider will not adjust the signal sent to that Auxilary.

On some boards there are just prefade aux sends, sometimes there's a mixture of prefade and postfade (affected by the slider) sends. On high end boards you can select whether they are pre or post fade.

They can be used for whatever you like. Personally I use Prefade Auxilaries for monitors (either for the band or for the people on stage). Meaning I can adjust the levels of the intruments/mics to the auditorium speakers without affecting the monitors. Prefades are also useful for record sends.
    I use Postfade Auxilaries mainly for effects sends. So the signal being sent to the effects unit is kept in comparison with the plain signal going to the master.

Hope this helps.

Quote: TheRave
    View Post
    It sounds like their Prefade Auxilery Sends. Somewhere (normally on the right of a small board) there will be the Auxilery Masters and then somewhere near the Master output will be the Auxilery outputs.

Can't be totally sure unless you give us the make and model of the board.

The prefade means that the Aux Sends are taken before the slider. Which means that adjusting the slider will not adjust the signal sent to that Auxilary.

On some boards there are just prefade aux sends, sometimes there's a mixture of prefade and postfade (affected by the slider) sends. On high end boards you can select whether they are pre or post fade.

They can be used for whatever you like. Personally I use Prefade Auxilaries for monitors (either for the band or for the people on stage). Meaning I can adjust the levels of the intruments/mics to the auditorium speakers without affecting the monitors. Prefades are also useful for record sends.
    I use Postfade Auxilaries mainly for effects sends. So the signal being sent to the effects unit is kept in comparison with the plain signal going to the master.

Hope this helps.

Well, I could not get a make of the mixer, but I sure can tell you, it is not a small mixer!

I consider a single rack unit wide (and quite a few deep) mixer to be relatively small, I'm not sure what you do
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

use of prefader

I am reading this forum to learn as I am training to volunteer for our local access. I am better with cameras. Audio has always been a mystery to me. I already understand some fundamentals from reading whats on the net. I do not understand why you would want signal going to a monitor prefade if it is being adjusted for output? Sorry to be so clueless.

Quote: mrwyllys
    View Post
    I am reading this forum to learn as I am training to volunteer for our local access. I am better with cameras. Audio has always been a mystery to me. I already understand some fundamentals from reading whats on the net. I do not understand why you would want signal going to a monitor prefade if it is being adjusted for output? Sorry to be so clueless.

Hey bud, no problum. From what I can understand, if you want to talk to who ever is on stage, that is what the pre is used fore. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast