cleaning your ccd AND self cleaning ccd...

What do you use to clean your ccd? Mired in tradition, we always use the over priced Sensor Swabs (gauze on a stick).

Mostly I'm curious to know if anyone uses the anti-static sensor brushes? How well do they work? Seems like it might be easier to use.

As a tag along question, does anyone know or have an opinion on the self cleaning ccd? Canon has it on the EOS 40D and the Nikon d300 has it, but I can't really find detailed information. I understand the cleaning is done with high vibration to the sensor, which is supposed to 'shake' off all the dust, but...where does the dust go? Just wondering.

eyepatch

Blog Entries
    Quote: eyepatch
    View Post
    What do you use to clean your ccd? Mired in tradition, we always use the over priced Sensor Swabs (gauze on a stick).

Mostly I'm curious to know if anyone uses the anti-static sensor brushes? How well do they work? Seems like it might be easier to use.

As a tag along question, does anyone know or have an opinion on the self cleaning ccd? Canon has it on the EOS 40D and the Nikon d300 has it, but I can't really find detailed information. I understand the cleaning is done with high vibration to the sensor, which is supposed to 'shake' off all the dust, but...where does the dust go? Just wondering.

eyepatch
    I have a Canon Rebel XTi which uses this new technology - so I don't clean the ccd (yet). The best I can suggest is check with the manufacturers recommendation for cleaning. I'm use to using an electric (not chemical) air-compressor for any type of dust problem.

I've used the anti-static brushes on mirrored surfaces for the dust only. If any fingerprints a gentle soap solution works well to get rid of the residual oil.

Only once did I glimpsed a Pixie Fairy to get the dust that vibrated off my sensor in the middle of the night...
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Sounds better than a quarter under your pillow from the Tooth Fairy!

Nikon used to require that you take your camera a Nikon shop to have the ccd cleaned. I found that out after about a year of cleaning my own and training everyone else how to clean theirs.

I work outside in dust and weather usually and change lenses frequently. I'd be out of work if I had to send the camera in every time the sensor needed cleaning.

Instructions for the swabs say to only use two passes, one on each side, but they never seem to pick up all the crud. I thought the brushes might be a better value and maybe a more gentle way to clean instead of the squeegee method with the swabs.

How does the vibration method work for you SC358? (c'mon, you can tell us I couldn't find a lot of information about the process. I did find a poor quality video on youtube that shows how it works, though the narrative is in a language I don't understand. It sounds like a great invention to keep you from manhandling that delicate sensor, but I wonder if it will prove to be a bell/whistle that might end up as yet another repair trip to the manufacturer. Then we'll be cleaning our own anyway.

Thanks!
    eyepatch

Blog Entries
    Quote: eyepatch
    View Post
    How does the vibration method work for you SC358? (c'mon, you can tell us I couldn't find a lot of information about the process. I did find a poor quality video on youtube that shows how it works, though the narrative is in a language I don't understand. It sounds like a great invention to keep you from manhandling that delicate sensor, but I wonder if it will prove to be a bell/whistle that might end up as yet another repair trip to the manufacturer. Then we'll be cleaning our own anyway.
    Actually, I find it to be a preferred bell/whistle that I'm willing to spend on. As long as I don't have to do any manual cleaning I'm happy about it.

I got my camera in late August and I don't even changes lenses. So that (hopefully) the dust is minimized with the exception of what may be generated internally or slip through any nook or cranny. I expect dust to be a problem (if any) rather than any type of dirt - although I've been known to be wrong.

So far my shots are clean . What can I attribute that to? Exercise and clean living....? Just kidding...I'm not exactly sure because I don't have a control subject to make comparisons but I am happy my camera has this little utility.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

It appears that a Nikon D300 is in my future (that's what they tell me today anyway - tomorrow, who knows what they will decide?). The d300 comes with the self cleaning ccd, so I guess I'll know more about it then. I should be good proof of how well the thing works. If I could buy ANOTHER camera (or two ), I might not have to change lenses so often.

Thanks for your info. I'd still like to know about someone who uses Sensor Brushes, as opposed to the Swab.

eyepatch

My recommendation is to send it to the service center, otherwise just use a blower (not the compressed canned air. That might damage your CCD/CMOS!). I've been on the D70s for a year, changed lenses way often (during shoots indoors/outdoors) still going well, but will likely send it for servicing next year.

As for the self-cleaning CCD thingy, mixed reviews, and no comments cos I've not prior experience with it.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore