My latest Matte Box for $7.50

Hi All

Just thought I would share my latest rig with you. A DIY matte box made from a flower pot and some scrap aluminium and it works well too. The pic below shows the matte box on my hand held rig. If you need any more details there are more photos on my diy page of my website.

Chris
    DIY Page is at :
    http://www.softweigh.com/video/diy.html

Blog Entries
    WOW! Very cool, Chris. Thanks for sharing!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Yes great stuff Chris.

I made a smaller version for my canon mvx250i by using an old plastic rectangular shaped medicine bottle. I cut the bottom off it and painted the top part i wanted matt black. Luckily the neck of the bottle was a perfect fit for my camera and it works quite well.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Hi Westie
    Medicine bottles are a good resource cos they tend to be square. My very first project was a lens hood for my old Samsung Hi8 camcorder and I used a medicine bottle too!!
    I still have the pics on the website if anyone needs a lens hood that costs virtually nothing to make (the pics are about halfway down the page) in between all the other user rigs that have been "made and displayed"

http://www.softweigh.com/video/user.html

Actually I had a hard time getting a 43mm diameter hood for my Panasonics so I wrapped some mirror tape around the lens barrel and pushed on a 55mm rubber hood and it's been there for a year now!!!

Chris

Blog Entries
    Nice work Chris
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

good work. I have used the green flower pots for years (spray them black) but youre looks good, mine not so much.

also i would love to give the looks of that mic holder mounted on there a big ole'

but heay what ever wirks right
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Surprise!!!! That WAS a green pot !!! Yeah I was hoping to find a black one so I could just spray the inside with a Matte Black finish but alas the only one they had was light green.

The plastic pots are pretty light anyway and weight is never an issue for me as I'm used to big cameras. The grip is almost a permanent fixture for hand held shots as I just couldn't hand hold a tiny camcorder with any success and the frame solves all the problems (plus I have a mount for my mike receiver too) as well as the normal mike bracket on the frame. The most expensive item on the frame was the foam bicycle grips which set me back $9.95 Now when I cruise the hardware store I'm constantly looking for "video" stuff!!!! It's amazing what you can use

Chris

Blog Entries
    Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    The most expensive item on the frame was the foam bicycle grips which set me back $9.95 Now when I cruise the hardware store I'm constantly looking for "video" stuff!!!! It's amazing what you can use.
    You're a man who really knows how to think, "out-of-the-box".
    GENIOUS!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    Hi Westie
    Medicine bottles are a good resource cos they tend to be square. My very first project was a lens hood for my old Samsung Hi8 camcorder and I used a medicine bottle too!!
    Chris
    Hi Chris, I'm surprised how well it works too.
    By the way, great site.

On having a look at that link, i think your site is one that gave me the idea!.
    Last edited by westie; 25th Nov 2007 at 01:15.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'