Thread: Tweeter blown?

Tweeter blown?

I have a pair of B-52 PA-15x high end speakers. They are rated at 650 watts. I noticed just today that one of the high-frequency drivers is distorting at nowhere near this output and the amp is nowhere near it's 500 watt rating into 8ohms. Can I assume that the tweeter is blown or is there some other possible cause?

I don't know who makes B-52's so I can't look it up, but yes, another possibility is the crossover. This is the circuit in a speaker that divides the highs from the lows.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Blown Tweeter/Crossover?

I think you might be right. It's certain kinds of intense upper mids that are causing the distortion. Is it relatively easy to replace a crossover? Easy to test that?

Just switch it with the one in the other speaker if that one works. If the distortion goes away it's the speaker. If not it's likely the crossover (x-over for short). Try it and post back.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Blown Tweeter?

Yep, it's the high-frequency driver. The previous owner must have over-driven in in Bi-amp mode. It's only rated to 150 watts in that mode. I hope I can order just the driver, and it doesn't cost too much. Thanks for the help.

You are welcome!