Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new iMac

Blog Entries

A new iMac

Well, I spent most of this morning convincing myself to buy one of the new iMacs. I don't have a Mac at home and I can't justify a Mac Pro so the iMac looks like a good compromise.

It's time we had more Mac-related stuff at MediaCollege.com so I thought I might start with some iLife tutorials over the next few months. I'll see how it goes. FCP can come after that (I did have someone lined up to make FCP tutorials but she bailed on me).

As an aside... I was bemused by Apples's tagline for the new iMac: "You can't be too thin". With all the worry about eating disorders, that tagline doesn't seem very "politically correct". Perhaps that's the hidden message - Apple is not PC ??

I wouldn't mind betting Apple will end up pulling that tagline. In any case I reckon they'll cop some flak for it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

dave the imac is a good start.....with in the year you are going to wish you had bought the mac pro.....and if you are anything like me, you will get one. I sold my harley to do so....since then the mac pro has done enough to allow me to buy my Harley back!

Hope you like the computer...if you need any help or anything for it...please feel free to contact me
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

That's great Dave!

Honestly I've not been posting up much lately because my old 'Mac' has finally died on me the past few months and work has been fairly intensive. Guess what? I've got myself the new 15" Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz (figured I'd need the mobility a little more than the power), incl FCP suite and soon, Aperture... supposed to collect it today but I decided to have them send it to me... so 2 more days to go...

I've rubbed 'shoulders' with FCP4 a while back but I do look forward to any form of tutorial that might be fun and useful here... Cheerio!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

FCP and premiere are very very similar in their basic uses.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Having worked with both, I can agree to a limited extent with that.

Difference with interfaces and getting used to hot-key differences will be the first thing to tackle in my regards...
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

I too am a mac pro user.

Looks like a mac specific forum area might be useful?

Blog Entries
    Welcome nige101uk.

If you guys think there's a place for a Mac forum we could include it. I'm not sure if there would be enough posts but I'm open to the idea.

BTW, I decided to wait for Leopard before buying my new Mac. Not long to wait now
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

you know i would be down for a mac area. i also am not too sure how many people would post in it, but i know i would.

Dave, what computer are you getting. I hope something closer to the top of the line if you are planning on running leapord
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Blog Entries
    Actually I was considering something near the bottom of the line

My first problem is that I've made a significant investment in my PCs this year, including the Adobe Master Collection (which can't be transferred between operating systems so the one I bought is PC-only). At this stage it's not realistic for me to replace my main video workstation with a Mac Pro.

I was thinking I would look at a Mac Pro in about 18-24 months, so the iMac would be a stop-gap until then. That's why I was going for the cheapest iMac - so I could save some money to spend on the Mac Pro sooner.

Basically, what I want is the cheapest iMac that will run Final Cut Studio and handle HDV video. I don't need it to be a great performer as my editing will still be done on the PC - I just need it to run well enough for me to learn Final Cut and write tutorials.

I'm considering this configuration:

* 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    * 320GB Serial ATA Drive
    * 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
    * 20-inch widescreen LCD

I know it looks a bit weak but honestly, I'd rather keep this basic and cheap so I can afford more stuff sooner (including of course the Final Cut Studio).

I'm wringing my hands a fair bit over this one. Any comments would be appreciated.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

We have a basic entry level eMac running FCP on our kitchen table as I speak editing a music video. We have an external hard drive connected via USB2 and we upped the RAM to 1 Gig. Other than that, it's exctly as it was out of the box 2 years ago.

Your specs will do fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast