Headroom for interviews

I can't seem to get the amount of headroom right on my interviews, especally with the Canon XL1S. What I think I see in the viewfinder, isn't what shows up on the tv screen. I'm trying to get the interviewee's eye level about a third of the way down, with some space above their head, but I usually end up chopping off the top of the head.

Anyone else with the XL1S using any special tips or tricks? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Re: Headroom for interviews

I think it's always important to learn the safe area of your viewfinder, no matter what camera you're using. Do some experiments where you record a scene and play it back on a TV to see where the frame is being cropped.

Some cameras have the option of creating an indicator in the viewfinder to help with this. For example, I once had a camera that had a title generator which could be used to create a border. Many professional cameras have a "cursor" function specifically for this purpose.

If your camera doesn't have such a feature, you'll probably just have to practice and learn how much extra room to leave.

One other thing - it could be worth making sure there's not an alignment problem with the viewfinder. If it's a long way out, it may need fixing.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    I should have mentioned an easier way to learn about your camera's safe area... Just plug the video output into a TV and try it in real time. Then compare what you see in the viewfinder to what you see on the TV.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com