Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

minolta

i would look on ebay for a minolta maxxum 9. these are truly professional
    35mm cameras. many functions and program mode. if you are not sure of
    how long your interest in photography will be. the quality lenses are reasonably priced. if you decide to check ebay locate one j.d.katz he is a minolta seller . i have purchased numerous cameras and lenses from him and never had a bad purchase. even today a maxxum 9 will stack up against any 35mm in its price range. by the way i am a minolta collector.
    which does not make me an expert and to each his own.

photojournalism student

I'm starting college in September for photojournalism and I had a question. Do you think that my Nikon D40 would be sufficient for school? I plan on upgrading to something much nicer in the future but not yet, mostly because of my budget but also because if I buy something now by the time I'm looking for a career there'll be something twice as nice out.
    I have a 55-200mm zoom and a 50mm standard lens that goes down/open to f1.2
    Also would you say the SB-600 is pro level? or should I save my money and buy an SB-900?

thanks to everyone.

Blog Entries
    I'm not really a photographer but since no one else has answered I'll say that your camera is probably sufficient IMO. However I'm only guessing because I don't know what course(s) you're doing or exactly what you'll be using the camera for. If you're studying photography and you're expected to own a professional camera then you might be in trouble, but unless that's a specific requirement you'll probably be fine.

The other option is to ask the school if it's okay.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi there SeeSpot

D40 is okay in general unless school is looking at cameras with superb low light performances.

SB600 is not pro level, and it is discont'd along with the SB800 where I am, so if you can help it, you may consider saving up for a SB900. Those on board flashes will weigh almost as much as the D40!

Quote: SeeSpot
    View Post
    I'm starting college in September for photojournalism and I had a question. Do you think that my Nikon D40 would be sufficient for school? I plan on upgrading to something much nicer in the future but not yet, mostly because of my budget but also because if I buy something now by the time I'm looking for a career there'll be something twice as nice out.
    I have a 55-200mm zoom and a 50mm standard lens that goes down/open to f1.2
    Also would you say the SB-600 is pro level? or should I save my money and buy an SB-900?

thanks to everyone.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

2. Budget
    The other most important factor, unless your budget is the sky, you have to think carefully what to invest in

3. Systems (usually optional but I find very important)
    If this is not a spur-of-the-moment purchase, think long term. What brands are reputed to have excellent and complete systems (eg lens, camera bodies, flash) that you find it a plus to invest in

Yup those suffice for now. Let the good people in this forum know if there's any other issues or help you require.

Of course you must answer to question what excatly you want to photograping? After start looking for. Another option you need if you are interested about makro, or take photo from big distance and another if you want to take a photo for model, children. Pay attention to lens, weight of camera - don't forget you must keep a device sometimes many hours and other points.
    bktemplates.com - Free WordPress, Joomla, Blogger, Drupal and other CMS templates

The prices range for cameras are so wide these days. I see them really expensive like this Canon EOS C500 4K Cinema for almost $16,000.00

C500.jpg

While you can get less expensive ones like this GE 16-Megapixel Power PRO Series X450 for about $50.00.

spin_prod_1010912312.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12