Need urgent help!!

Hi,
    I am a complete amature and am looking to record myself singing using a microphone and mixer, has anyone got any suggestions as to what type of mixer or microphone I should get? ALSO: This may seem like a stupid question but do i need to buy software to go with the hardware, will it come with certain software, can I use default windows sofware, and if i do need to buy some what is the best software for an amature?

SORRY IF SOME OF THAT DOESNT MAKE SENSE ITS URGENT BECAUSE I NEED TO FIND OUTWHAT I WANT THIS WEEK AND I REALLY DONT KNOW WHERE TO START!!!!

If I were you I would go with an alesis multimix 8 firewire w/ a Studio Projects C1 mic. That will get you started on computer recording. Good microphone, lots of people compare it to high end ones even though its cheap. The mic pre's on alesis are great for the price. Comes with a free sequencer *audio recording software* called cubase. Good starting point. I think the price is $500 total. Next get some monitors, 2 KRK-RP5's would be great. Get a mic stand and a pop filter. Get some software synths and samplers, and you can't sound much more professional till you hit the $1000 for each piece of equiptment bank

Your situation, as an amature, is not critical. You are simply in a situation where you think you need to buy a bunch of equipment to make a fast recording to impress a girl or something. If you are serious about recording you will post that way. Buy her some flowers.
    Last edited by penniesfromheaven; 3rd Dec 2007 at 02:42.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'