Audio recording software

I have a microphone and a mixer and want to connect them to the computer do I need a certain type of software to record the audio? (I dont want to edit it on the computer I want to edit it throught the mixer). Or can I use windows default software?
    Last edited by xNessax; 2nd Dec 2007 at 16:01.

Audacity if you wanna go cheap and free

Cubase if your on PC

Logic if your on mac

Can you still mix on your mixer? What kind of mixer do you have? What outs does it have? The mixer would determine if the eq's are pre or post conversion

If you really want, you can use sound recorder (comes with windows). It's quite powerful for such a small program, but to do more than simple recording is a bit hard, even for the experienced user. "sndrec32.exe" is the filename.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

I second use of Audacity for basic recording of various sources, including "what-U-hear" -- i.e. whatever is coming out of your computer speakers is what it records.

And in case you ever want to use your computer to mix/edit:

Another one I have found powerful and cheap is n-Track Studio; feature-rich and mature, though I still am using v3 of it and only for occasional playing around. Look for more serious reviews. You'll find many who say "why spend more when n-Track does so much?".

If you do want to try something else more expensive and powerful, see if you can download a trial/demo version of it first and play around with it before taking the plunge. You can often find 1/2-priced not-quite-latest-version software (legally) for sale on eBay or elsewhere.

Can you tell I'm a cheapskate? SO MUCH can be done on a shoestring budget, IMO. :-)

- gimme
    Last edited by gimmepizza; 19th Apr 2008 at 02:14. Reason: I went off on a tangent, re-read original...

Gold Wave is a nice eteter for a cheep price.
    www.goldwave.com
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

of course you are able to record audio with windows default software, steps are really easy for you. just set "stereo mix" as your default device and enable your speakers. But if this does not satisfy your need, other alternatives for you to seletc. audacity and streaming music recorder. You may select one of them.
    Last edited by john2011; 16th Aug 2011 at 01:13.

Hi xNessax

There so many ways you can do a recording and mixing through your control desk. You may go analog and digital depending on your area
    of interest. Let me know if you still need more details regarding this!

Cheers!

Lou-Riz Garcia