Again- Transparent backgrounds. What's the answer?

I've tried the solutions posted to no avail. Could you please help me before I give up all hope?
    I have a photo that I can use as either PSD or JPG or anything you'd like me to convert it to. I need to give it a transparent background.
    Two problems: )I tried your website suggestion to create a transparent layer and then drag it beneath the photo layer, but the photo layer is locked and won't let me drag. How to unlock it?
    2) I also tried the website suggestion to create a new transparent file with File - New. However, when I open my photo and try to copy it onto the file with the ctrl A; ctrl C; and then open transparent layer and copy the photo with ctrl P, nothing happens.

Blog Entries
    1)I tried your website suggestion to create a transparent layer and then drag it beneath the photo layer, but the photo layer is locked and won't let me drag. How to unlock it?
    Double-click the layer in the Layer palette. You'll get a "New Layer" message box - click OK and you should be good to go.

2) I also tried the website suggestion to create a new transparent file with File - New. However, when I open my photo and try to copy it onto the file with the ctrl A; ctrl C; and then open transparent layer and copy the photo with ctrl P, nothing happens.
    Are they the same colour mode, e.g. RGB? Have a look in Image > Mode and make sure they're the same.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com