Thread: Which format???

Which format???

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked but I could not find anything.

Which format should I use to stream short clips (10 - 30 secs) from a busy web site on an Apache server?

I am confused - if one works or is better, why use the others. Windows Media is easiest for me to impliment but I am worried it might not be visible to some non Windows PC's.

If anyone has any advice on whether QuickTime, Real or Windows is better it would be very much appreciated.

Mike

Blog Entries
    I don't think there will ever be a consensus on this one. It's one of the most difficult things about video on the net.

As much as I hate to say it, I find Windows Media easiest to work with and get good results from. But I know others who say the same about Quicktime and Real.

Windows is probably the most popular format for our end users, followed by Quicktime.

Another option is Flash video. Flash is very well supported by end users and has other advantages. I've experimented a bit with it but found that the performance wasn't as good as the other formats. Could be worth a look though.

Bottom line - it's your call but if you want 99% coverage you'll need to make clips available in different formats so users can choose.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks Dave,

Unfortunatley I like Windows Media as well and get the best quality with my primitive equipment. I think providing both is a good solution.

Many thanks,

Mike