Going to film some drag racing

Going to the Meremere drag strip this weekend and thought i'd do some videoing. I'm taking my tripod, external mic, etc along with my camcorder which is a Canon mvx250i. What settings should i use?.
    There's a preset for sports, should i use this one or would i be better of using the manual settings.
    Also, where will be a good place to set up camera?.
    My mates taking his camera so i was thinking one of us can hang around the start line and the other camera could be positioned up on the bank or grandstand seats about midway and follow the cars & bikes along the strip.
    What do you's think?.
    Any tips much appreciated.

Cheers,
    westie
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

westie,
    the few times that i have shot drag racing, i would stand about even with the finish line and as far back from it as i could. This makes it easer to swing the camera and keep up with the cars. And if you are in the middle of the track you are going to have to have a full swing in the middle of the race. I just like it better when the mid swing is the final, and then you can see the winner, and if you cant complete the swing as fast as the cars, then who cares you already saw them cross the finish line. (that is one of the only things i learned while working for the speed channel)
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Good idea, thanks kawasakimx6.
    There is a bank that i could set up on that would give a wide angle of the whole strip but at this distance i dont think there would be much to see. The finish line sounds like the best place. I don't have a good tripod so the less panning the better.

Any idea on what settings i could use?. Would the sports preset be ok.
    The manual doesn't give much info only says to use that mode for filming sports events like tennis or golf.

I do not know your camera at all. I would say that the "sports" preset is more for in side with those massive carbon lights and reflective floor. As far as the setting, It all depends on the weather. I personally only use the manual setting. I would guess if you feel more comfortable (THIS IS ONLY BECAUSE IT IS A ONE TIME LIVE EVENT) if there is a full auto, or a Outdoor sunny/Outdoor Cloudy setting, you could use these.

A few more tips on shooting vid of drag racing with single camera.

1. get shots of the cars staging once the once they get to the line (Before the tree starts) focus on something on the finish line. Unless you think you can follow them as they move with the zoom and the focus.

2. after the staging shot take a wider shot of the line because the focus will be slightly off. what i use to go when manning the only camera at an event, was to keep the camera zoomed to where i needed it at the finish, then just turned the camera. the cars start framed wide, then as they get closer it will frame tighter and tighter, just because they are moving to you.

3. Turn the mic input down a little bit. use a shotgun if possible, even if it is mounted to the camera. the noise of the cars will peak the mic alot earlier then you think.
    Manoni Productions

Thanks.
    My camera is only a small camcorder. You can check it out Here

A friend was telling me that getting to close to drag cars can blow the on camera mic's out stuffing them up completely.
    I don't have a shotgun mic only a standard omni mic. Would it be better plugging that in or maybe covering the on board mic with some soft foam to blanket a lot of the noise?.

honestly. I would not anticipate it working very well either way. Do what you can to muffle the noise, the problem then i when the cars are staging, you will hear mostly nothing. And crowd noise is always nice.....It is kind of a crap shoot. either you get good croud noise, or good car noise, you need to depend what is it that you want. Personaly, i would muffle the mic so you can get good car noises......after all that is why you are there right?
    Manoni Productions

Ended up getting there late so didn't have anytime to scout around for a good shooting position. My mate was setup on one of the grandstands that sat at about 175degs (finish line being 0/360deg) and i found a position on the top of the left hand side grandstand that had a small flat area suited for a camera. Unfortunately it meant a lot panning to follow the cars down the track.
    After lunch i walked down to the finish line to see if i could get some good shots of them crossing the line but there was no where suitable to stand the tripod up & i wasn't very happy with the results. I thought i spotted a proper platform off to the side of the finish line but it was on it's side. They probably lay it down when not in use.

All in all it was a great day and out of the 2 cameras and 6 hours of tapes surely there must be enough to put a DVD together.

Cheers,
    Westie.

at least you had fun. that is all that counts.....it is a learning experience every shoot for me
    Manoni Productions