Thread: images

bevan

images

HELP>.. complete novice here! when i insert a picture into a webpage designed in M/S Word, why when i upload into onto a server does it show up as a box with a red cross in the corner and not the image?

Blog Entries

Re: images

First of all, you need to understand that using MS Word to make web pages is an exceptionally bad idea and will always involve grief. Word is simply not designed for this application and makes a shocking job of it. In fact, stay away from Microsoft altogether if you want it done properly.

Unfortunately you really need to understand HTML to make this sort of thing work. See our Internet section, in particular the following page about images:
    www.mediacollege.com/internet/html/image-tag.html

Honestly, it's not as hard as it looks. It takes a while to understand the basics but once you're there you will find that everything starts making sense. If you don't understand HTML then this sort of problem will keep happening and you'll never know how to fix it.

I know it seems intimidating but if you devote a few hours to learning HTML you will save countless hours down the line.

-dave

You need to upload the picture file as well, not just the .htm file. and make sure that it is in the same relative path as it was on your computer. It would be best if you made a folder containing your pictures and the ms word html file and then started from there.